+ Reply to Thread

Default ridge vent w/ roof louvre?

My house has a ridge vent but also 3 roof louvres on the back pitch. Will the louvres allow air to shortcut so that I don't get the full benefit of the ridge vent?

Default Re: ridge vent w/ roof louvre?

Howdy any soffit vents to let cool air in at the bottom? Any other vents on ther roof?
    cross ventilation seems to work very well with soffit venting. Hot air by way ov convection travels up and out mostly.

There are about 5 or 6 soffit vents on the back side (same side as the louvre vents) but the covered porch on the front of the house does not have any (I plan to add some though).

One problem on the front though is that I think insulation between the roof joists from the knee wall to the attic space is filled w/ fiberglass insulation batts.

Howdy, if your insulation bats are not backed some air will move threw them if you add porch soffit vents. It would be better if you can make a channel threw the insulation.
    The roof vents vent by convection so hot air is expelled at the ridge and colder air enters at the soffit. You could add a attic exhaust fan in the roof to draw more air or a whole house to attic fan to move the homes air into the attic. and pushing the hotter attic air out threw the vents. Rule of thumb is a foot of roof vent for every 600 sqft of attic.

What I can see of the batts along the roof rafters in the side attics behind the knee walls are faced.

I figured I'd get some air moving thru but I'm concerned that won't be enough and will just put moisture in the batts to stick behind the roof decking. I thought about pulling the batts out to put in cardboard baffles and then refill with loose insulation behind a dam at the bottom but that is more work and more $.

Is the rule of thumb you mentioned a square foot or linear foot of something like a ridge vent?

Howdy its sq ft. you can use liner foot an convert into square foot by multiples of the width of the ridge vent.
    The back bats will not allow air movement threw them by design.