+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two way switch

Hybrid View

Default Two way switch

How do you wire a two way switch?

Default Re: Two way switch

Just guessing you mean a 3 way switch. All three way are wired as drawn, although path of wiring may be different. Power goes to the common terminal on one switch and the load (ex. light) is connected to the common on the other switch. The two traveler posts are connected to the two traveler posts on the other switch. Pleas not the location of the two traveler posts and the common post may not match the drawing. Check the markings on the switch or the documentation with the switch.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Howdy 6 ways to wire a 3 way swith... Consider looking to a basic wiring book for diagrams and instructions at library or big box stores or buy one uses on the web...
    I use the simpliest way to me on all or ours. Run a two wire from circuit to first switch 14/3 three wire from fist switch to second switch and two wire to the light.

Tim,
    Actually there is only one way to wire three-way switches, there are however multiple cable paths that can be used.
    Jack

More than one way. Legal as well.

Well NEC, I stand corrected. There are 2 ways to legally wire 3-way switches. I, however, have never seen it done that way.
    Jack

Learned to wire 3-ways with a “California” 30+ years ago. Great if you did not have any three wire left or wanted a hot and neut at both switches. If you draw it out it will work with a two wire between the switches and a two wire from each switch to the light.

I have not wired a three way like this for 30 years and feel sorry for the guy that needs to troubleshoot a problem.

Even on our electrical site the issue came up and it took me a while to remember how we wired it.

There is another way to wire a three way that switches the neut. Not legal but works and I had this arrangement in a home with a detached garage.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post

//i113.photobucket.com/albums/n206/rabbitgun/Californiathreeway1-1.jpg

Isn't Rabbitgun banned?
    SPAM: never liked it from a can, can't stand it on a board forum. This board needs MODERATORS!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Watson View Post
    Isn't Rabbitgun banned?
    Laughing here! No. rabbitgun never showed up here.

Hey leslie K.... you bizarre woman you.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Tim,
    Actually there is only one way to wire three-way switches, there are however multiple cable paths that can be used.
    Jack
    Thanks for the clarification.