+ Reply to Thread

Question "Magic Moulder"?

I recently learned of a product called Magic Moulder that is designed to provide molder capabilities to your very own table saw. It is essentially a disc that is either 3/4 or 1 1/4" thick that bolts on the arbor of your beloved table saw.

It has 2 partial circles in the outer rim that accept molder profile blades with a fool proof locking system to prevent them from flying off when in use. There are 70 some profiles available including all the standard profiles.

I'm getting ready to put crown, new base, and casings in every room of my house and also will make all new kitchen & bath cabinets all of which could use molding. I had previously been thinking that I'd make molding with my 3hp table mounted router, but this Magic Moulder approach may prove easier & safer, and since you can also use the profile tilted (if your machine tilts), it can make profiles that other molders can't.

Has anyone used one of these?

Has anyone ever run down the economics of making your own molding versus buying it?

I realize it's a time saver to buy molding but since I'm retired and enjoy woodworking, time is not the issue for me.

Comments?

Ken

PS - BTW, you can find their web site by Googling Magic Moulder and they even have a link to a video that shows it in operation. It looks pretty neat to me.
    Last edited by kenackr; 10-11-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Default Re: "Magic Moulder"?

I'M sure you can buy the molding cheaper than making it.Unless you need somthing to keep you busy I would buy the crown.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Moulding heads for table saws have been around for a long time. Even Sears sold and perhaps still does sell one. Here's a link to a review of the Magic Moulder http://www.******toolreviews.com/rev...agicmolder.htm

One problem with these when making moulding is getting every thing set back up exactly if you run short and need an additional piece.

Unless you have a cheap supply of wood or need moulding made of wood not normally carried, you probably can't make standard mouldings for less than you can buy it.

If you want to make custom mouldings I would prefer a moulding machine like the Williams & Hussey. You can even do curved mouldings.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Having made a few of my own moldings at considerable less cost than manufactured goods, I'm not as pessimistic as my fellow cohorts. An important distinction in "cheaper" is that the actual cost of materials can be far less, however, when you factor in the amount of time it will take you to set up your machines and make the moldings, as well as any special tooling required, your cost savings diminishes rapidly. Your time has value as well, the question is, can you produce your own moldings at the same or better quality than you can buy.

IMHO, you're going to have a tough time holding a piece of material into a table saw to cut crown. When you consider the size of the cut and the dimension of the material, you're looking at multiple passes and probably a few different set-ups to achieve the finished product.

If you really want to make your own moldings I'd recommend investing in either a molding cutter or a shaper. These tools are designed specifically for this purpose and do the job much more safely than it can be done on a tablesaw.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: "Magic Moulder"?

JLMCDANIEL,

Thanks for the link to the review, it confirms my thoughts about the device in terms of quality of tool & quality of cut. Making a single pass versus 2 or 3 with a router seems more efficient to me. Even though one would have to run crown through once on each edge it seems like a better way than a router.

I looked at the W&H machines you gave a link to and they do look nice and I'd love to have one. Unfortunately, between the small space of my shop, and my fixed income status as a disabled vet, I won't be able to afford one. Maybe if I win the lotto.

All,

When it comes to pursuing an enjoyable avocation like golf, tennis, horseback riding, scuba, fishing, sailing, skiing, camping, etc., we never think about what our time is worth, do we?

As a single, retired guy whose time is his own, I can choose not to put a price on my pleasurable activity times. How many times have you said to yourself: " I'm not going fishing today because it's cheaper to run down to the store when I consider the time spent on the water." ? The answer, of course, is never.

Finally, woodworking sure beats hanging out in a bar or watching endless TV (IMHO) and it gives me a great sense of satisfaction because I made it myself.

A. Spruce,

With a set of feather boards, I don't believe there will be any problem. I'm pretty sure the crown gets cut flat face down and not at an angle. The angle cuts can be done by either table saw or router or by changing out the cutters.

Gizmo,

I'm not sure it will be more expensive to make than to buy when I don't consider factoring in my time (as above). However, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll run down the cost of material vs buying ready made. If I find that I can't beat the price of ready made that doesn't come from China , rest assured I will buy it. Please note that I'm talking actual wood here, not some plastic or foam crap.

Thanks for all the responses both pro & con, it takes difference of opinion to help formulate the right answer for one's self.

Happy sawdust!

Ken

PS - If I do get it, I'll post a good review: of the tool, the quality of cut, and the cost factors.