+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wood chippers

Default wood chippers

I want to buy a wood chipper leaf shredder. I bought one this spring from McCullough. I would like to dig a big hole and drop it in and bury it. I looked at troybilt but it gets bad reviews on the lowes website. i looked at echo but they have Honda engines and my husband does not like that engine. Someone please give me some input.

Default Re: wood chippers

I bought a MacKissic model sc800 that I've been happy with. It's the smallest hammermill chipper they make. For my needs it's a chipping monster. I used it to take care of a fairly large tree I cut down this spring. Everything that wasn't worthy of the wood pile plus a bit more went into it. It has a B&S engine. Echo had a similar sized machine(under another name) that cost a bit more.

what was the cost on that?

I too have a MacKissic and love it. I don't know why your husband doesn't like Honda engines, they are some of the easiest to start, longest lasting, fuel efficient, low emission engines out there. Briggs and Stratton is probably the worst when it comes to emissions and they fight vehemently to prevent emission restriction laws being placed on small engines. DR is another good brand of chipper. Keep an eye on CraigsList, they pop up fairly frequently. Brands to stay away from are Troybuilt, Craftsman, and most of the other "homeowner" type that are produced by MTD. MTD manufacturers and private labels cheap equipment that breaks easily with generally bad customer service. I recommend staying away from the chippers that use knives, stick with a hammer mill. The knives dull quickly and are prone to damage. A hammer mill just beats the ever living pulp out of stuff and keeps going. This is particularly important when you've got gravel and other hard debris such as nuts mixed with your leaves and limbs.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

http://www.mackissic.com/Hammermill%...-Chippers.html
    I payed MSRP, setup with no additional charges from my dealer plus tax of course which was just increased to 6% when our spend happy governer pushed through massive tax incresses in a special session right before last Christmas. At least I can say I didn't vote for him.

Not sure about the engine model but this chipper started in a very cold Minnesota winter.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...98&FORM=VIRE3#

Honda makes some of the best motors ever built.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    http://www.mackissic.com/Hammermill%...-Chippers.html
    I payed MSRP, setup with no additional charges from my dealer plus tax of course which was just increased to 6% when our spend happy governer pushed through massive tax incresses in a special session right before last Christmas. At least I can say I didn't vote for him.
    Mine is a 35 year old 12P. I paid $200 for it from a Craigslist seller. This was a particular find because the hammers had never been changed or rotated and it was garage stored it's entire life, so other than some minor rust, it still has all the original paint and decals. I bought a screen for it for $75, rebuilt the carburetor and a new muffler for $25. Total into the machine is $300.

Granted, you don't find them that cheap too often, but generally you can find good brands for decent prices. I've seen similar machines for around $500 on CL.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I too have a MacKissic and love it. I don't know why your husband doesn't like Honda engines, they are some of the easiest to start, longest lasting, fuel efficient, low emission engines out there. Briggs and Stratton is probably the worst when it comes to emissions and they fight vehemently to prevent emission restriction laws being placed on small engines. DR is another good brand of chipper. Keep an eye on CraigsList, they pop up fairly frequently. Brands to stay away from are Troybuilt, Craftsman, and most of the other "homeowner" type that are produced by MTD. MTD manufacturers and private labels cheap equipment that breaks easily with generally bad customer service. I recommend staying away from the chippers that use knives, stick with a hammer mill. The knives dull quickly and are prone to damage. A hammer mill just beats the ever living pulp out of stuff and keeps going. This is particularly important when you've got gravel and other hard debris such as nuts mixed with your leaves and limbs.
    We bought a push mower than had a honda engine and it was a nightmare.

I have two pieces of equipment that have Honda engines, a pressure washer that I purchased new, and a mid-tine rototiller that I bought used from CL, the rototiller was rental equipment before it's civilian life. I've done absolutely nothing to either of these machines other than change the oil periodically, and they both start right up and run like champs. I've also rented my fair share of Honda equipped machinery with no problems. I suspect that your mower wasn't set up properly from where it was purchased, rather than it being an issue with the engine. That is not to say that Honda's don't or can't have issues periodically, but more often than not they're trouble free. I've had far more problems with Tecumseh and B&S engines than any Honda.