+ Reply to Thread

Default Bead board ceiling

Hey everybody, I am new to this forum but not new to fixing up old stuff. I have some old bead board (tongue and groove) that I want to install as a ceiling, in my basement. The room that I have to install this in has no plumbing above so I am comfortable with installing this as a permanent installation. My obstacle is that I do have one HVAC duct and some 120 volt wires in the way of me installing the boards directly to the above floor joist. Generally what is my best option to get this installed. I will be doing this myself, with a helper. I expect the finished project will be pretty heavy and I want it braced right. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
    mw

Default Re: Bead board ceiling

put strapping up perpendicular to the joists 16" on center and attach it to the strapping. that way you have room for the wires that are there and you can also run another wire in the future should the need arise

Ok, thanks, I'm afraid the hvac duct is about 8" below the joist. So one more question if you don't mind. By bulkhead I take it you mean run a "beam" of sorts down the middle of the room that encases the hvac duct then run boards parallel with the bulkhead 16" o/c to nail the finish ceiling too?

thanks again
    Last edited by MWelborn; 08-30-2009 at 10:18 PM.

exactly, it's called a soffet not a bulkhead, but the same general idea.