+ Reply to Thread

Default Does exsisting slab need to be level for new radiant system to go in?

I have radiant baseboard heat in my home (water/boiler system). I have removed my old floor down to the slab (no basement) I am installing new pex tubing on top of the old slab for a new in floor radiant system. My question is: My slab has about a 3rd of a 400sq. ft. area that is 1 to 1.5" lower than the rest of the slab. Do I need to level the slab before installing the new system (so that the finished system has all the new pex tube at the same depth into the newly pored concrete.) Or, if I don't level will the heat simply radiate up and not relay make much of a difference?

Default Re: Does exsisting slab need to be level for new radiant system to go in?

I am going to put down a layer of Reflectix Reflective Insulation then a layer of 14 Gage 4 x 2 Mesh Galvanized Welded Wire anchored to slab underneath. Then, zip tie my 1/2" PEX tubing on top of that. After pouring new floating slab I will have 1.5" of concrete above the tubing at the highest point of the existing slab. If I don't level before installing my low point will have almost 3" of new concrete between the PEX and the surface. What I don't know: Is this a bad thing? After all the work I have put in so far I don't want to compromise my new system because I skipped a step!