+ Reply to Thread

Default Rotted Window Sill Replacement

I have rotting in the lower sill of a window that I need to repair/replace. It is only a 6 year old house, so the other parts of the sill and sash are OK and it does not warrant a complete replacement. In addition, the window manufacturer is no longer in business ( Rivco ), so I can't get pieces.

I have attached a picture of the affected area. Any recommendations?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	2746  

Default Re: Rotted Window Sill Replacement

I have the same problem and was going to replace the entire sill. I hear they sell plastic sills and was going to check those out and give it a go.

I've replaced windows, but never just the sill. I'm just assuming I can remove the sill once I take out the glass (sash), possible remove the plastic glides/rails, remove my window stool and apron/trim, cut the sill to help me remove it. I'm hoping I can then slide the new sill in. I suppose you might say I'm just going to do it and see what I run into.

Thank you. Please let me know how it works out and if you find any suitable sill replacement.

I replaced it with a wooden sill from HD. I cut out the old one with a hand saw. Took a section out of the middle and then was able to remove the two ends. I did end doing a little damage to the outside trim, but nothing that a little caulk/fill couldn't take care of. Should probably be replacing that as well.

Make sure you check the framing out underneath the sill. There could be some damage there also. I would hope theres some type of vapor barrier installed in the rough opening before the windows were originaly installed.
    The windows arent that old,theres water in that area for some reason. I would figure out where its coming from. Could snow build up there,it looks like a roof is close by from the pic's.

I was happy to see flashing underneath the sill. No damage at all.

Water really isn't the problem. Snow buildup, possible on the cape, but I think it's related to the position of the window relative to the sun.