+ Reply to Thread

Default Lines in cemente

Was laying cemente and had to put a tarp over it. And it had rained that night and left lines in it. I was wondering if there was anything I could do like sand it out or something. But I don't won't to have to take it up again. It was every hard work and it took me a long time to do. There are two slabs that are white and some what smooth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1352.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	2743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1348.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	2744  

Default Re: Lines in cemente

Cemente? Is that some kind of Italian cement? Actually, I'd bet that it wasn't cement at all, but concrete that you used? Anyway, concrete can be ground down - you'll expose more of the aggregate and it still won't match the adjacent areas, unless you grind their surfaces too... however, if you were to replicate that tarp pattern on the other slabs it might be make an interesting design... looks a little like marble in the photographs.

Wink Re: Lines in cemente

If you ground down the slabs you will have a rough unsightly slab, even worse than it is now. Libcarp might have a good idea, look into a concrete top coat and do all of the slabs so they are the same. If you leave things the way they are, and since it looks like the two slabs in question never were properly finished what you see is what you will have for a long time coming. The right way is to re-do the whole thing and have someone who knows how to finish with you. If you have to cover it use plastic not tarps, plastic leaves less of a water mark and eventually will fade out. Again, the other way is a topcoat, with a bonding agent so it doesn't "spall" (means the topcoat comes off).

Calcats

Quote Originally Posted by calcats View Post
    If you ground down the slabs you will have a rough unsightly slab, even worse than it is now.
    Not necessarily. It the surface were more "polished" than ground, it would be smooth. Consult companies that do concrete polishing and staining/epoxy. Another route would be sand blasting, which will remove the top layer without flattening the aggregate like grinding will. Keep in mind that the concrete is still relatively soft, and will remain so for several months, so cleaning up the surface sooner than later will make the job faster and easier. For sandblasting, you could purchase the equipment and do it yourself OR check with pool refinishing companies and professional blasting companies.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

How about using a Terrazzo grinder which will make it smooth but this will be slippery when wet.Maybe stop short of as smooth as terrazzo.

Wink Re: Lines in cemente

A.Spruce, if you grind it smooth you will have a slippery situation when wet. I would use a stone to grind it and make it a little rough (like I mentioned earlier) only I would do it all the same. Then I would use one of the topcoats they advertise for a garage or for stamping to give it a finished look. Just food for thought.
    Calcats