+ Reply to Thread

Question Are there any green programs for remodels?

I am remodeling/restoring an old Craftsman home. I know there is a commercial program called LEED but I am wondering if there are any programs for individuals. My home is in South East Texas and I would like to get on board with a green program. Does anyone know of anything I could look in to?

Thanks!
    Last edited by samgard; 08-26-2009 at 01:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Are there any green programs for remodels?

Here's a good overview of green designation programs:

http://www.homesavvi.com/article/what-green-designation

the Cash for Appliances program will give you money for exchanging your old appliances (or even windows) for more energy efficient ones. (sometimes jokingly called Cash for Caulkers since it's very similar to Cash for Clunkers). There are also rebates from the government, both state and federal (depending on your state) for Energy Star appliances without having to trade in old ones.
    Live green, live free, live better! Writing and sharing information from green remodeling to Hidden Content at CalFinder Solar

here in canada we have a program called energuide, when you register two energy audit inspectors come out and look at the whole house as a system, they look at the insulation levels, condidtion of the windows and doors and your heating system. from there they give you an evaluation on what needs to be upgraded. you then upgrade the energy efficiency of your home by upgrading inusulation, windows, and heating system, they will then give you a rebate on those items and will then re evaluate the house and give you a new rating

most common for an older home is a rating of say enverguide 35 afterwords a very well done reno will bring up the rating to a 70

new homes are expected to score no less than an 80, the top of the line energy efficiency homes are in the 90s
    fire up the saw and make some dust

We here in Canada is a program called energuide when you register two energy audit inspectors come out and look at the system as a whole house, they look at insulation levels, windows and doors and the condition of your heating system. From there they advanced to the need to give an assessment. You inusulation, windows, upgrading heating systems and by upgrading the energy efficiency of their home, they will give you a discount on those items and then re-evaluate the house and give you a new rating