+ Reply to Thread

Question No insulation in walls

I have a 2 story Brick home build in the 40's. There are farring strips tacked to the brick and plaster board then mounted to that. There is no insulation in the walls and not enough room to add any. My questions is can I stud a wall out infront of the plaster wall that are there and insulate or do I need to tear out the plaster and then stud. Any suggestions are appreciated

Default Re: No insulation in walls

Howdy not knowing what part of the cworld your home is in but suggest you read about thermos mass solar storage of brick walls then decied if you want to retard the heat that is being conducted threw the south exposure brick in the winter time or not. I would insulate the north and west walls ... I wouldn't remove anything but the trim. First research which insulator is highest R with least volume so the walls are not any thicker then necessary. Consider steel studs so less heat sink then wood studs...

Thank you. I am in Delaware. so the winters are not too bad but as you said I do not want to lose more than I gain. I will read up some more. My main concern was taking out the plaster walls or letting them stay. I appreciate the feed back on that and removing the trim will work.

You are welcome.

If your plaster is in bad condition consider tearing it down and adding the insulation so you don't have to worry about future maintenance of the plaster. This is extremely messy!

You can rent or have a professional cut a hole at the top of each joist and put in insulation with a machine. Consider using a contractor because the foam insulation expands, so you might just destroy your wall and have to re-insulate it if you put in too much. This is an expensive option.

I wouldn't put another wall top of the current wall as I think you were suggesting as an option both because you are going to lose square footage and if you have carpet, you will likely need to have a contractor come up to re-install the carpet unless you have the appropriate tools and know how.

Also think about your time line. If you don't plan on living in the home for very long, I wouldn't insulate the walls.

If you are in the home for good or quite some time also considering upcoming plumbing and electrical needs as well. If you have old, faulty wiring and mix matched pipes that have seen better days you may want to take care of these problems all at the same time, which would be done more easily if it was back to the studs.

Thanks good points to consider especially the up grades if I decide to go this route