+ Reply to Thread

Default Share your lessons learned from TOH

Tell us what you've learned from the TOH TV crew over the years!

Default Re: Share your lessons learned from TOH

American know how. Shared with anyone whom would care to watch and learn. Everytime- watched- i have learned something new. Watched one of your helpful videos today. In it Tom demonstated a zip vynal siding removal tool. Instantly i learned how to do what he was demonstrating and no longer will butcher the vynal i am removing and repairing on my old home. Only spent 15 mintutes to track down the tool. A local hardware store ordering it in friday. Do not know how to say it but your trademanship, mentoring is appreciated.

One lesson I learned from watching every season of TOH is that "when in doubt, hire it out". Better to let the pros do it than do it badly and pay for it again. Also I've gained confidence in what I can do over the years by paying attention to Norm, Rich, Roger and Tom. TOH presents new ideas, products and procedures that can help anyone improve their house, old or not so old. Early on I taped every episode. My friends borrowed the tapes when they were going to tackle a project to see how it should be done. Best of luck with season 30.

While I can't think of something I've picked up from the show, I think that it generally sets a good example of what to expect during a construction project, and if nothing else, it gives the viewers something to compare the craftsmanship and materials of their own hired out projects to. I particularly like the ATOH series, which is very homeowner oriented and shows them that there really isn't that much that is too difficult to do on their own. 75% of the battle is knowing how it's done, the rest is practice and technique.

I do wish that when they'd do "green" projects that they'd actually do a GREEN project. Quit using materials that are a waste of time and money, detrimental to the environment, and/or have a short life span.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I've picked up a bunch of great ideas over the years - far more than I could ever consciously remember. In almost any medium to large size project I do now, it's almost guaranteed that I'll pull something from the ol' memory bank and say "that was from TOH or Ask TOH." My wife even encourages my watching now because she knows I'll likely get something good.

Probably my single most valuable tip/idea came a few years ago when I changed out the floor in my master bathroom. I went from a tile and mud base to cementboard and tile. The result was a floor that was 1/2" to 1" lower than the old one. As such, my toilet flange sat too high and the toilet wouldn't sit on the floor. Due to the existing pitch of the drain and type of flange I couldn't make an easy adjustment. I was completely at a loss for an easy and inexpensive solution until I remembered an Ask TOH episode where Richard used a piece of Corian to essentially raise the floor under the toilet. I ordered a piece colored to match and cut it to size with basic wood working tools. It worked like a charm!

Keep up the great work.

Having watched the show from day one,almost thirty years, I have built two homes and now am redoing our new home at present. I have installed radiant heating twenty years ago and have done numerous projects that I wouldn't have tried if it wasn't for the show.Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Tell us what you've learned from the TOH TV crew over the years!
    I become a big fan of this old for severa years ago. I have enjoyed watching Tom Silva, Richard Trethewy, Roger Cook, and Norm Abram along with other experts provide tips and suggestions on various home maintanence and remodeling projects. I really enjoy the demonstrations with cut-aways and templates that they use on the show.

I think I have learned mostly how to control and prevent moisture from various parts of a home. I have learned a great deal of various products to use. I think the show has made more aware of how moisture can cause damage. I have become more aware of moisture issues around my home.

Watching the show has given me a better understanding of repairs needed at my home. Over the past 10 years I have become more willing to conduct home repairs and projects myself. I have definitely learned the to "measure twice and cut once."

I wish some day that I can have Tom Silva, Richard or Roger come to my house to give me tips on various home maintenance. I have hired contractors for various services over the years and it is hard to find a contractor that is fair and easy to work with.

I wish there more contractors like Tom, Richard, Roger and others on the show around. Those type of pros seem to be real rarity these days.

I live in Pasadena, California and hope you can have another tour at home improvement centers like you did a few years ago. Thanks for the experts tips and keep up the good

Ray San Juan

Iíve learned a whole lot more from TOH than I can put down here in a short entry but here are some of the biggies:

I learned how to put in a drain tile system which helped me keep my basement from flooding.

I learned that you need to put most of your effort into the prep work if you want to have the job turn out right.

I learned that you should put your money into the structure and mechanicals and whatís inside the walls before you worry about the countertops and cabinets. You can always upgrade later but if itís buried in the walls it will cost a lot more to do it later than up front.

I learned that if you learn how to do a project correctly and take the time to do it correctly then even an average DIYer can do a whole lot more than they ever thought they could. I grew up not knowing how to do anything except paint. Now Iíll tackle most any project. I even roofed my own house Ė something I never thought I would do.

I learned that doing a home improvement project can be a whole lot of fun and very satisfying.

I learned that the upfront cost is only part of the equation. You need to consider the long term costs. Better insulation costs more but will save you money over time. A more efficient HVAC system costs more but will save you money over time. LED and CFLs cost more but will save you money over time.