+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing a subfloor, with upgrades

My friends and I are restoring a house built in 1909. The people that owned it before us did some... interesting things to say least. One of the things they did was lay a plank subfloor running parallel to the support beams on the second floor. Some of the planks have absolutely no support at all they way they're laid and there's a wood floor, either hard wood or laminate of some type, glued to them. Everyone living in the house practices martial arts of some form or another so we'd like to use this room as a practice room. We know what to do about the support beams to make sure they can handle the added stress, but what about the subfloor and insulation? What type of material would be best to redo the subfloor with? We need something that will handle the stress of having a 180lb adult landing on it with some regularity. We were thinking about oak or another hard wood what not really sure. Also, what type of insulation would be good for sound proofing the floor? We know nothing is going to completely dampen the sound of us throwing each other around, but we're hoping to lessen it somewhat if possible. Any suggestions at all would be helpful.

Default Re: Replacing a subfloor, with upgrades

I would take up the floor and sub-floor. Sister "steel plate to the joists to add rigidity. Sub-floor with 3/4" plywood (not OSB) then hard wood or engineered hard wood floor and always use a tumbling mat.

Without the added rigidity and the mats chances are you will knock down the ceiling below.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I've found two different types of plywood at the local home improvement stores. One is made from pine or fir, and the other is a hardwood. Lowes called it cabinet grade. Should we use one over the other? I've always heard pine is a soft wood, but I'm not sure about fir.

We're planning on using mats while we spar, though honestly it was more to avoid injury than save the floor. We also were already budgeting for the steel plates to go along the joists. None of us wants to go through the floor. It's a long way to the floor below.

Do you have any ideas about sound proofing? Or is that just not possible with this house?

The fir is what you use, no need to go to the extra expense as it will add little. The mat is probably going to give you much of the sound proofing, although foam insulation may help.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb