+ Reply to Thread

Default Need instruction book

I need a book that details how to start at the utility pole and run an underground line to connect a 200 amp meter socket to an emergency shut-off box and then on to the load center. We are running a new underground service line and would really love to see some diagrams of what pieces/parts are supposed to go where. We have the Electric Service Manual from our utility company that tells how to run the conduit underground, but it doesn't say what parts to use to hook up the socket or shut-off box. All of the electrical instruction books that we have found so far start at the load center. We need instructions from the pole to the load center. Any suggestions? Thanks! Peggy

Default Re: Need instruction book

Quote Originally Posted by dphardy View Post
    I need a book that details how to start at the utility pole and run an underground line to connect a 200 amp meter socket to an emergency shut-off box and then on to the load center. We are running a new underground service line and would really love to see some diagrams of what pieces/parts are supposed to go where. We have the Electric Service Manual from our utility company that tells how to run the conduit underground, but it doesn't say what parts to use to hook up the socket or shut-off box. All of the electrical instruction books that we have found so far start at the load center. We need instructions from the pole to the load center. Any suggestions? Thanks! Peggy
    Any suggestions? Hire competent electrician for that one. Might just be a wee bit to much.

"Hire" is the operative word there. If we could afford one, we would. That's why we're doing it ourselves. There's got to be a book out there somewhere.

Peggy, you're receiving some pretty good advice here. I'm not trying to be a smartαss, but the book the utility gave you has everything in it you need to run a service entry... if you can't figure out the individual parts you need from that then you're in way over your head on this one... let a professional handle it this time.
    Last edited by libcarp; 08-25-2009 at 07:44 PM.

The small amount of information that is listed on the utility company's ****** book is completely understandable. But, it stops short of what I want to know. It also contradicts the information that their own electrical engineer gave to us when we requested an on-site consultation. We want a third opinion from an authoritative source instead of leaving this to chance. There has got to be a book....

well, if you really wanna tackle this one your own, its an easy job, but theres alot of verialbles!! first off u gotta comply with your energy supplier, then you gotta be legal with your state or city code, if you have one.. which this is where a qualified electrian from your area would be good!!! but other than that its a easy job!!! if you know the basics... id be more than willing to help if i knew more details!!

As you describe your project, you will be relocating the service and redesigning your electrical system so that your present "load center" will become a remote panel, or "sub panel". At your meter box on the exterior you would need a main circuit breaker and bond to ground. You will also have to rewire from this new service entrance point/shut off/main circuit breaker and meter to your former "load center" including ground, and your "load center" will become a remote panel. Your "load center" will require re-work which will ISOLATE ground from "neutral" and insulate the bus bar(s) from the case. Load calculations for new/replacement service are required, and completely reworking your "sub panel" may be necessary. Your work may trigger your building/electrical authority to require upgrading and/or redesigning your "load center" and some/all circuits to meet modern standards (i.e. wiring space, fill requirements, GFCI/AFCI, etc.).

Your bonding at the new service entrance will require meeting the newest electrical code adopted in your jurisdiction to be met for your property at this location and to the now re-commissioned or replaced remote panel at a minimum. The tools used for safety and verifying the adequacy of the work (megger, protective personal safety equipment, etc.) are expensive. I note in another of your posts you additionally have a private well, you seek to recommission a detached garage as a living space on your self-described farmsted, and unknown other exterior hazards, considerations (such as bodies of water, pools, fountains, water troughs), nor your general location (State or Province and/or Country). The risks/hazards to life, limb, property, and liability are great should this not be done correctly and safely.

I suggest you check with your local building officials and determine what your prevailing code authority is (example IRC, IBC, National Electrical Code (US), Canadian Electrical Code, provinical codes, etc. and which addition and what ammendments, also plumbing and mechanical codes speak to issues you may need to consider). The authority having jurisdiction usually indicates a source to read and/or acquire this/these publication/s. Electrical codes are not how-to manuals, nor design mainuals: actually most state they are quite the opposite. You cannot reasonably expect to acquire the skills of an education and working apprentiship by reading a DIY how-to book.

At a minimum I suggest you consider hiring a master electrician to consult on your project (to design, supervise, and check your work).
    Last edited by Gray Watson; 09-07-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    SPAM: never liked it from a can, can't stand it on a board forum. This board needs MODERATORS!

If you can't afford to hire an electrician, then I'm afraid you can't afford to do this project. The folks in here really do like giving advice, even on electrical stuff, but this is what you would call a special project for which there isn't a textbook description.

If you can do as much prep work as possible so that the electrician's time there is minimized, you can reduce the cost quite a bit. You may be able to hire an hour's worth of an electrician's time to get some advice.

Digging the ditch and laying the conduit is a big part of the cost, and you can do that yourself. Keep in mind that the conduit will need to be inspected prior to burial. If you have rocky soil, you'll probably need to partially backfill with clean soil or sand before replacing the material you removed from the trench. Inspectors don't like to see big rocks dropped on top of conduits. If the conduit isn't crushed, the freeze-thaw cycle can cause the rock to eventually wear a hole in the conduit.

If the utility's engineer gave advice that conflicts with the booklet, go with the engineer's recommendation, but get it in writing with the engineers stamp. Believe it or not, in some jurisdictions, an engineer can override codes.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.