+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow -

---------------------------
    Last edited by asc2078; 08-18-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: pictures added

Default Re: Tips on fishing new wires inside finished walls.

Nice write up and good tips.

D.B,
    Excellent tips and the kind of stuff we need more of on this site.
    Jack
    Fayette County, Ohio
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I also use this method to install central vacuum piping.

You can also cut a piece of the hanger to length needed. Then cut one end on an angle to give it a point, and put the other end in a drill. Use it as a drill bit and a locating tool.

"Heavy Wall" PVC boxes with metal tabs are far and away the best product to use. I always try and steer clear of anything else.
    But it is not always a perfect world.

Smile Re: Tips on fishing new wires inside finished walls.

On the subject of boxes, I would recommend the "One-Box" from Arlington Fittings. The screws are on the inside and it will screw right to the stud, wood or metal. Then you dont have to worry about breaking tabs at all.

If your installing a box towards the base board, we've found it easy to use a keysaw to rough out the box and then use a flexible drill bit (like http://www.lashen.com/vendors/BES/Fish_Bits.asp to drill right through the base plate.

These drill bits have saved us a lot of time.

I realize that this thread has been inactive for a while, but I have a question about fishing wires into finished walls. I am currently adding some outlets to a 2nd floor bedroom with original plaster walls and blown insulation in two and a half of the walls. I have the whole ceiling torn out and I am running the new wiring across the ceiling then down the wall to the new outlet, then back up the wall, over and down to the next outlet, and so on. I am having trouble feeding the wire (12ga romex) down the wall and through the insulation to get to my hole for the rough-in box. Eventually I can get the wire down, but it takes continuous up and down movement and pulling the wire back out and trying again several times. The wire likes to bind up in the insulation and on the back side of the plaster. I have been drilling a 1" hole in the top of the wall and using a spare strand of romex to get down through the wall, and then I attach my two lengths of wire connected to the circuit to the spare length and pull it down to my box location.

I have added a couple outlets so far using this technique, but I am hoping there is an easier and less time consuming way to do this without spending a lot of money or buying special tools. I like the magnet pull system in one of the links, but I'm afraid the magnet won't be strong enough to work through the plaster and lathe. Also, the price seems a little steep considering I won't have much of a use for it once I finish rewiring my house.

I am open to any suggestions at this point. If I am unclear or if anyone has questions let me know.

It may be out of your price range, but I use my "fly rod".
    Fiberglass rods four feet long that screw together for the length needed.
    Maybe you can get your hands on a set, say on E-bay.