I'm a novice gardener and recently planted my first perennial garden. The plants are doing well (much to my amazement!), but recently some white/pinkish colored mold has appeared on the two inches of soil that I left unmulched around the crowns of the plants. The soil was ammended with composted cow manure and peat moss. The mold appears in the morning after a rainy spell and a warm, humid night. I've sc****d it off once, but it is back again this morning. Is this something to worry about or is it most likely a beneficial mold?
Sorry I don't have pictures to aid in the identification, I haven't made it into the digital era yet! Any ideas or sources of information would be greatly appreciated. I've scoured the internet and my gardening books to no avail.