+ Reply to Thread

Default OTR microwave venting problem - stud in the way

I am completing a kitchen renovation that included new cabinets. The layout was changed slightly to allow for cabinet symmetry, which was a bad choice it seems. I want to install an OTR microwave, and I discovered that the old rectangular vent penetration is both 6" lower than required and offset by 3" horizontally - of course with a stud blocking the way.

1. How does one deal with the stud problem? Changing the cabinet layout is not an option at this point.
    2. Assuming #1 can be fixed, can rectangular elbows be used to allow for venting out the current opening to avoid making new holes in the side of the house?
    3. If 1 or 2 won't work, am I restricted to recirculation mode? Venting up is not an option.

Thanks

Default Re: OTR microwave venting problem - stud in the way

If it were my house and I had no other option and it was not a supporting wall I would cut the stud. Good Luck!!!

i have the same problem. my stud is located olmost exactly centered on the opening above my stove. Every over-the range microwave oven that i have seen has a center exhaust. The wall is perfect for ventillation otherwise because it is an exterior wall. This however makes it a load-bearing wall. Thus my question. Can i cut out a hole an frame it with 2x4's or do i have to do the full monty and install header, etc? What if the roof truss does not rest on top of that particular stud but rather the next one?

thanks,

Jamey

We did some work on New Construction, A/C and Heat, complete systems, but the guy that gave us the job told us that we were responsible for venting the Microwaves to the outside. I haven't seen a Microwave that gets mounted under a Cabinet that's less than 14 1/2 inches wide of late, and even if there was I no of no Framer that's going to figure out the spacing so you don't have to cut a stud. I cut them, but not before letting the Contractor know what I was going to do, he gave the OK. I seriously doubt that one stud will make any diff. but I'm also not a Lic. contractor. If it were my house I'd cut the stud, just make sure it isn't a king or jack stud. Good Luck !!!
    Last edited by Sten; 10-15-2009 at 01:01 PM.