+ Reply to Thread

Angry Need LOTS of help

Ok,
    I have a weed issues that is driving me nuts. Not only do I have weeds I cant seem to kill around myshed, but my lawn is turning into weeds instead of grass. I have tried things like Round Up, it seems to work for a couple weeks, then everything comes back even stronger. I also have dogs so I have tried to seed but it never gets a chance to grow because they trample it.
    I would just til the whole yard and sod, but I have a 40' maple in the back and the roots make it difficult if not impossible to till the yard.
    I REALLY need some help here, I want a nice lawn, I dont want weeds that grow to 3' tall around my shed, I am abount ready to use gas and a match.........
    Last edited by V92C; 08-22-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Default Re: Need LOTS of help

You're not far off track with the match and gasoline. You might want to consider investing in a weed torch to control the weeds around the shed.

Another method will be to pull the weeds and clear the area to bare ground. Sprinkle pre-emergent granuals generously over the area, then cover with mulch. The pre-emergent will stop seeds from sprouting, the mulch will keep the dogs out of it.

As for weeds in the grass, you may not have a choice but to resod. Keep in mind that dogs are extremely hard on grass, so finding a suitable grass to withstand animal traffic will be tough. It's better to have a dog run where the dogs are primarily and only let them on the yard for a few hours a day. You mention tree roots. If you've got a lot of surface roots, you can do two things. Remove a few of them at a time every year or cover them up. I'd opt for adding top soil over the roots and grading the yard for natural runoff.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks, Any suggestions on type of grass for dogs? Dont really have a spot for a dog run, we have a lot beds in the yard round the perimeter and a 16'x20' deck

No, I'm no green leafy thing expert! I would consult with a sod farm or sod dealer who would be familiar with what varieties would be hardier. Keep in mind that the more durable the grass, the less "user friendly" it will be. The grass blades won't be fine and silky, soft under bare feet, they will be broad and likely sharp, cutting or scratching delicate skin with ease.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

V9, you certainly have a huge challenge. Shade and dogs are not very conducive to a lush green lawn, getting rid of the weeds is not that difficult- just apply Scotts Plus-2 at the proper time for your location. I had our lawn power-thatched last year. We added about an inch of good top soil and humus, then I seeded with Scotts lawn seed. We have sun, but there are excellent shade mixtures as well. Don't plant Kentucky Bluegrass because it won't do well in the traffic. Ask your local nursery which they recommend (fescue, perennial ryegrass, other). If you don't require a lush lawn, you might even consider zoysia plugs. That grass is almost indestructible, crowds out all weeds, and needs very little maintenance. But it's invasive, and it's as close to "industrial strength" grass as you can get. Not for everyone, but maybe good for your place.

You've got your hands full with a mix of dogs, shade etc. I agree with A Spruce on the getting. rid of the weeds part. You might want to use some temporary fencing, cordoning off major areas of the lawn from the dogs to allow growth from seed of new lawn using some tough grasses. I'm told it's easier to get seed for particularly tough grasses than sod for same. I've found the Turf Alive varieties(www.gardensalive.com) to be very tough. they are a mix of thick and thin bladed tall fescues. They also fight grubs. Eating them can make grazers sick though as their endophytic fungus produces a plant-eater toxin for grub control that concentrates in the base of the plant. They're also shade and drought tolerant, sending down roots 4-6' deep. There is at least 1 rhizomatic mix which spreads fairly rapidly by root runners (rhizomes) once it's mature enough.

Willyvon