+ Reply to Thread

Question anti-siphon hose bib

Hello,

I just started reading this website recently and it seems full of useful knowledge, so I thought this might be the place to ask this question.

I have a hose bib on the back side of my house that seems to have a break somewhere between the shutoff and the spout. It doesn't leak when it is shut off and when it is on it leaks behind the siding. I found it in this condition when I bought the house.

It is kind of inconvenient running a hose around from the front yard all the time. So what I am wondering is if most of these will unscrew from the outside or if I have to knock a hole in my drywall. The house was built in 1993.

I kind of worry about twisting pipes trying to unscrew it form outside, also worry about getting a new one screwed back on properly so that it wont leak at the house supply pipe.

Any advice would be appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Bryan

Default Re: anti-siphon hose bib

Hi you likley have a freeze damage resesseed pet cock.... The facuet is installed so it resists freezing by having the shut off inside the supply pipe about 16" inside the of outside wall. So it only leaks when the water turned on as the break is between the shut off and the outside spigot. This is repaired by replacing the pet cock/ spigot. It should be installed at a down slope, not level, to allow drainage when the spigot is turned off. Be sure aftger it is repaired to remove garden hose before any winter freezing every fall..... If a finished basement ceiling a small hole cut into it to acess the pipe is usually needed. Instead of repairing the ceiling one can install a vent cover over the hole to allow warm air in around the pipe - be sure to insulate the cavity around the ouside wall. The vent cover allows any future repair and saving the$$$ to repair the ceiling. The vent cover cost a few dollars and is screwed into the ceiling .

Default Re: anti-siphon hose bib

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Hi you likley have a freeze damage resesseed pet cock.... The facuet is installed so it resists freezing by having the shut off inside the supply pipe about 16" inside the of outside wall. So it only leaks when the water turned on as the break is between the shut off and the outside spigot. This is repaired by replacing the pet cock/ spigot. It should be installed at a down slope, not level, to allow drainage when the spigot is turned off. Be sure aftger it is repaired to remove garden hose before any winter freezing every fall..... If a finished basement ceiling a small hole cut into it to acess the pipe is usually needed. Instead of repairing the ceiling one can install a vent cover over the hole to allow warm air in around the pipe - be sure to insulate the cavity around the ouside wall. The vent cover allows any future repair and saving the$$$ to repair the ceiling. The vent cover cost a few dollars and is screwed into the ceiling .
    Yeah I figured it was from the hose. Looks like the previous owner left the swamp cooler hooked up all winter as well. Thanks for the input, the only problem is however I do not have a basement or crawl space. The house is on a slab. That's why I figure I'd have to put a hole in a wall somewhere to access it if it cannot be secured properly outside.