+ Reply to Thread

Default Possible to repair cracked tank?

Hi all....

Before I get any grief, let me state that I do not want to buy a new toilet. If I wanted something new, I would not be on the TOH forums.

I received a free wall mounted toilet today. It turns out that the tank is cracked....apparently they overtightened the screw holding the tank to the wall. I have not yet done a test to see if it leaks at this crack. The crack starts at one of the screw holes and goes about halfway down the tank. Whether it leaks or not, I'd like to try to do something. Is there some product out there that would be ideal for this? It needs to be waterproof obviously since it will be applied inside the tank. Maybe some sort of a cement-type product?
    Last edited by SophieC; 08-24-2009 at 09:59 AM.
    peace,
    Sophie

Default Re: Possible to repair cracked tank?

If you absolutely have your heart set on this toilet and tank, you may be able to have the inside of the tank lined with fiberglass. A fiberglass repair kit at Evil Orange is inexpensive and would have all the materials you needed to do the job, though it may take several kits to fully line the tank, which I would recommend over a spot repair because you would fully line the tank, creating a new, water tight tank. The added benefit of lining the entire tank is that it will help reinforce the entire tank so that the crack won't likely continue.

Second option would be to see if you can find an auto body shop that would be willing to line the tank for you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

It is not so much that I have my heart set on this particular tank as that I have my heart set on a wall mounted tank. They are rather hard to come by in this area. There is a local hardware store here that also sells used toilets/tubs/sinks/lavatories, etc. They had a wall mounted tank. I went back to buy it and it was gone. I remembered a landlord who owns a house 2 over from mine removing the wall mounted toilet from her rent house because the lid was cracked and she said it leaked. I assumed the leak was at the connections on the elbow. Maybe it was because of the crack. Anyhow, she gave it to me yesterday and that is when I discovered the tank itself has a crack in it. I do, however, have a cast iron tank that I had my heart set on using. It, however, has some minor pitting in the bottom near the hole. You can see it here.......

http://chambersrangers.proboards.com...ay&thread=1179
    peace,
    Sophie

Unfortunately, that link requires registration to view.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

ahhhhh....sorry about that. Here they are.......

peace,
    Sophie

As long as that cast tank can be rebuilt with modern internals and neck, I'd say go for it. The exterior can be refinished and I think I'd consider sandblasting and a resin liner applied to the interior to inhibit rust.

What kind of business applies this resin liner you are suggesting?

Have you ever heard of POR 15? This was something I was thinking of using on the inside when I thought about redoing this tank.

http://www.por15.com/

I know it's hard to tell from the pictures, but there is a light porcelain coating on the inside of the tank already.
    Last edited by SophieC; 08-24-2009 at 10:20 AM.
    peace,
    Sophie

Tough to say, but I'd guess that a body shop could easily apply either resin or a fiberglass liner. A company that applies new finishes to bathtubs and sinks could apply their surface coating and accomplish the same thing.

If the tank is already lined with porcelain and it's in good shape, then I wouldn't worry about doing anything to it, other than fix the pitting which you could do with an enamel repair kit from the hardware store.

I would recommend cleaning up the back and coating it with a water proofing coating. Bare cast iron that's going to sweat is going to leave rust streaks on your wall and floor.