+ Reply to Thread

Default How to do a window tear out?

I need to replace some windows on our rental cabin and the window people are charging more for the tear out than the window. Does anyone know if this is something we can do ourselves and if so, how do we go about it? Thanks.

Default Re: How to do a window tear out?

Howdy consider getting a bid from a contractor to install a replacement window without removing all of the old windows parts...

The cost of tear-out will depend on the type of window and the type of siding on the house. As Tim suggests, shop the job around and see what you come up with.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have the post right above yours. You can tear out the window youself...I did. Really you are not tearing out anything. I assume you have double hung windows. Measure exactly the height of the window and the width. You should be able to do this befor you take anything out.
    First, remove the inside quarter round, or stop. the lower sash will come out. will have to cut ropes or ..or mine had springs. Then remove the parting stop...the guide in the middle, then the top sash will come out. Take out parting stop on the top. My windows happen to have aluminum guides on the side, which made it quite easy. LEAVE the blind stop on the outside. Take off any storm windo frame..they are no longer. I ordered replacemant window inserts from Lowes. Pella. They fit right in...do some shimming, suppose to fill in the space with expandable foam...forget that...never again, too much of a mess. Use some fiberglass insulation poked in with a putty knife... and not too tight. Remember...the tax credit for 2009 and 2010. Instructions come with the window also, tells about caulking, leveling, shimming.....Good luck..YOu do not have to take off the trim inside or outside.

OOPS....It is a couple below yours...someting changed?????S the one by Greenfrog.

Wink Re: How to do a window tear out?

I agree with the others, get prices for installation of the windows and let the contractor measure for the new windows. Make sure you know where he wants you to stop tearout so the new windows will fit. Now, tell us what type of windows you have, what is on the outside of the cabin and what is on the interior walls of the cabin and we can help you tear the windows out.

Calcats

The windows are about 28 years old. They are old sliding type windows (single pane). The outside of the cabin and the inside walls are redwood. That's about all I know about them. Thanks.

Smile Re: How to do a window tear out?

If you have never taken windows out and replaced them before yourself I suggest you go with a contractor too as windows can be tricky. Someone I noticed mentioned expanding foam in the installation and then said no don't do that. I agree as if you get the wrong kind you can freeze your window in place so it neither opens or closes and you don't want that. The cans are clearly labeled so you shouldn't have a problem there but the stuff is very messy so care should be used when applying it,another reason to get a contractor as they have had years of experience in using expanding foam on windows.
    I noticed someone mentioned Pella windows a very wise choice either Pella or Anderson windows. I say that because these two manufacturers have been in business for years and make fine wood windows,which is what you want at your cabin. You should be able to find either window at Lowes or the Home depot and there you can discuss with them how much they might charge to have the windows replaced.
    There is a big difference in price by the way in replacement versus regular hung windows. Replacement windows are much cheaper and that is what you want and need. As someone else said you don't remove the outside trim you leave that alone and many times with replacement windows you can leave some of the inside trim alone too. It just depends on how your window is framed. Good luck to you whether you do it yourself or have someone else install the windows!

Wink Re: How to do a window tear out?

I agree with hedgeclippers, from your description you will be further ahead having a professional install your windows. The main item is to watch and ask questions then you can do the installation the next time it is needed. I also agree with his choice of window manufacturers, they are the top of the line. Get 2 or 3 prices on installation, and ask for references you can go to look at to check the quality and if the homeowner is satisfied. If they don't want to give references don't deal with them. Get the price for tearout and installation only. Have the contractor measure for the new windows and give you the sizes. Tell him you will shop around and find the windows you want and you buy them. This way he won't put a profit on the window price. I've seen some guys charge $700.00 a window to purchase, tear out and install. At that price you could learn how to make your own windows and install them. Ask the going price from the home center for installation as well as the references you check. Good Luck.

Calcats

Hi Marbilwil,

You want to replace one window then try to do yourself as there is no need for any other person to do that which is charging for the replacement.The cost of tear-out of window will depend on the type of window and the type of siding on the house.Count the full charge which is used for replacement of windows and then think how to do work for that replacement.

Thanks