+ Reply to Thread

Default Drywall on a cement foundation.

I am finishing my basement and I have completed the majority of the drywall with the exception of the stair well leading down. The stairs are constructed up against a cement foundation with only 1 1/2 inches along the skirt board to place the drywall. If I place furring strips against the wall and then the drywall, I may get some overhang that extends over this skirt board or it may not be deep enough to place the drywall screws. By doing this, either side of the stairs will not look even, this will be very noticeable. Does anyone have an idea to install the drywall to allow the stairs to look cosmetically pleasing? Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02169.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	2714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02170.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	2715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02171.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	2716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02172.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	2717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished Side.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	2718  

Wink Re: Drywall on a cement foundation.

I think I would cut a 3/4" skirtboard for each side of the stairs. You would only lose 1 1/2" is stair tread, but it doesn't look like that will be a problem. This would give you 2 1/4" for furing and sheetrock. You could use 2x4's for furing if you wanted and still have room for the sheetrock and screws. Hope this helps or gives you something to think about.

Calcats

Default Re: Drywall on a cement foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by snide3 View Post
    I am finishing my basement and I have completed the majority of the drywall with the exception of the stair well leading down. The stairs are constructed up against a cement foundation with only 1 1/2 inches along the skirt board to place the drywall. If I place furring strips against the wall and then the drywall, I may get some overhang that extends over this skirt board or it may not be deep enough to place the drywall screws. By doing this, either side of the stairs will not look even, this will be very noticeable. Does anyone have an idea to install the drywall to allow the stairs to look cosmetically pleasing? Thank you.

I had the same staircase going into the basement, with the same issue. I ended up using plaster directly on the cement block foundation, smoothing it out and blending it directly into the drywall at the bottom and top of the stairs. Upon first glance, it looks like it is all once consistent wall. It is not until you touch it do you notice the difference.

It worked out better then drywall; particularly given the lack of room.

Quote Originally Posted by calcats View Post
    I think I would cut a 3/4" skirtboard for each side of the stairs.

Calcats
    I like this idea, but it seems that you are tell me to narrow my stairs more than what they already are. Am I reading this correctly? Thanks.

I agree with SearsHome, parging or skimcoating the concrete wall would be the most aesthetic.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Wink Re: Drywall on a cement foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by snide3 View Post
    I like this idea, but it seems that you are tell me to narrow my stairs more than what they already are. Am I reading this correctly? Thanks.
    Yes, I am asking you to reduce each side by 3/4" to give you the room for working with the sheetrock and furing on top. I don't believe that 1 1/2" will even be missed once all is done.

Calcats