+ Reply to Thread

Default Pocket doors-1960's

I am in process of repairing a 1960's pocket door for my son-in-law. The pocket door is connected to the track via two three- wheel tricycle trolleys. The wheels appear to be nylon and are worn. The wheels have the name "JOHNSON" molded in. The tricycle width dimension is 1 1/2 inch, outside to outside. Johnson Hardware makes new pocket door hardware and when I called them they told me they never made any trolleys greater then 1.o inch outside dimension. The track appears to be steel, steel frame and well fastened to the house framing with a one inch opening with a tapered lip. One side is shortened to install trolleys. The trolley uses a tapered wheel with an OD of 7/8 inches tapered down to a 9/16 dia by 5/16 wide cylinderical section. The trolley connects to the door similarily to the Johnson designs. Has anyone seen this type of trolley design and know the manufacturer? Have not had much luck with internet searches. Replacing the complete pocket door track assembly would be a big task as this house has plaster backer board with a wet plaster finish. Thanks and regards to all.

Default Re: Pocket doors-1960's

Depending on what your track width is the Johnson model 1125 heavy duty tricycle hangers may work.
    They are spec'd for a 1" minimum door width -- perhaps that's what they were talking about ?

As you see by the drawing of their 100PD track the width is over 1-1/2 ".
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Smile Re: Pocket doors-1960's

Thank you. The Johnson web site shows the dimension of the tricycle assy at one inch. Clearly this track and trolley is much better than the old one I am working with. The wheels roll on a much more level surface. I have re-finished the door for them in my basement and plan to return it this weekend. I need to look at the track more closely and determine if the newer trolley might work. Thanks for the great picture.

Default Re: Pocket doors-1960's

From what I can tell the rollers seem to be 1" diamemeter --- the mounting base plate is 1" wide but the tricycle assemble seems to be wider than the base plate but I don't see an overall measurement for width.

"" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush