+ Reply to Thread

Default remove plaster ceiling or not?

Howdy, need to replace the ceiling in several rooms as the old plaster has cracked from wear failure. What are the disadvantages of simply screwing 1/2 sheet rock to the ceiling verses removing the plaster and then installing the drywall?

Default Re: remove plaster ceiling or not?

no disadvantages unless you have to take down and put up any wood trim along the top. the only thing to make sure of is to screw the new blueboard into the joists above, you don't want all that weight hanging on the old slats or it could eventually sag since the slats are attached with small nails to the joists.

If the ceiling is just cracked and not sagging down then just repair the cracks. If it is loose then you can take down the loose stuff and replace the plaster. It might be a good idea to get a plasterer in to give you a price on repairing any spots you have to tear out or you can try to fix it yourself. If you dont want the mess of tearing it out. If you are going to hang new board I would tear it out then reboard so there isn't all that weight up there. If you tear it out take a utility knife and cut the plaster in the corner all the way through then it shouldn't tear out much of the wall and be easier to patch in. Hope this helps any questions just ask. You don't even have to take the lathe boards off just use like 2-21/2" screws and screw it into the joists.
    Last edited by plastrr385; 08-16-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added more info.

Hi thanks for the advice.

If you to slap drywall up over it, it's a good idea to fir out the board because of the drooping and uneven plaster. If you can afford the change in height, 1" strips will also help give structure for your drywall and let you have a much better end product. Maybe you already were going to do this. you can run your fir strips parallel or perpendicular to your joists.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy, need to replace the ceiling in several rooms as the old plaster has cracked from wear failure. What are the disadvantages of simply screwing 1/2 sheet rock to the ceiling verses removing the plaster and then installing the drywall?
    If the existing plaster is sound and not detatched from the lath and is structuraly sound than why not apply a veneer plaster.
    Tape cracks apply two coats base and a finish that will leave a smooth white surface.
    Total thickness of the system i use will not exceed 3/32 inch.
    I have completed over 136,000 sq/ft of plaster repair using the above method.
    The veneer product that I use is Master of Plaster.
    there are others that I have used that will work.
    But for the last 15 years it has beem the one above.