+ Reply to Thread

Default Old tongue and groove ceiling

I recently removed an old ceiling tile to reveal a tongue and groove wood ceiling. I would like to leave the wood ceiling exposed and paint it. My only concern is dust, debris, and insulation fibers sifting through the cracks. Should I be concerned, and if so, is there anything that I can do to make it safe?

Default Re: Old tongue and groove ceiling

If it is in good shape there should be no problem. If it has shrunk and opened up enough that the tongue has come out of the grove you can fill the cracks with rope of the proper size and paint.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I just purchased a 1900's house and discovered the same thing (tongue and groove ceiling under soft board tiles). My question is the same. The tongue and groove isn't fit tightly like a wood floor, I assume it was meant as something cheap to attach the tiles or plaster or just to seperate the room from the ceiling. If left on its own perhaps cold air and dust would pass through.

Anyone with experience on this? I do think exposed and painted it would have a very nice vintage look.

I just discovered the same thing, it's beautiful and tightly fit. What can I do to expose it rather than covering it with sheet rock.

We bought a run down 1980's brick house to renovate and we have done quite a lot to it already but it has tongue and groove varnished pine cathedral ceilings throughout. It remains dark and feels "top heavy". Don't know how else to describe it.

We are considering painting over the pine but not with white ceiling paint. Have thought of using 1/4 strength of the wall color.

Just wondering what preparation we would have to do? Do we have to sand the wood or is there a primer that we could use instead?

We are desperate for some advice of how to go about doing this. Thanks to the members for helping out.