+ Reply to Thread

Default Closed cell attic insulation

I live in the Mid-Atlantic and recently had a home energy audit and discovered that I had a great deal of energy loss, particularly in my attic space. I contacted some weatherization contractors, one who is proposing a closed-cell foam insulation that will be sprayed onto the underside of my roof (rather than between the joists that hold up the ceiling). The goal here is to create a sealed environment that becomes "conditioned" as the house does and create an air block that will help better maintain temperatures in the living areas of the house. I know I need to be concerned about the roof and shingles and that it would add expense (the roof is a bigger space than the ceiling), but was interested to find out if there was anyone who has any knowledge, recommendations, or assistance relative to this proposal. I have nothing moving through my attic space other than electrical wiring, so I don't need to be concerned about HVAC duct work.

Thank you,
    Steve

Default Re: Closed cell attic insulation

Howdy, is your attic finished living space? The spray foam is $$. What type of attic insullation do you now have and is it R48? if it is not R48 and a non finished attic i would consider adding sprayed in cellous insullation to get to R48 as it is less expensive and the attic can still vent. The cellous has a great air movement barrier where as fiberglass insullation does not.

Default Re: Closed cell attic insulation

The attic space is not a living space and the insulation is about R-19 and original to the house (1969). A lot of the insulation has compacted overtime, so I know that I'm not getting anywhere near the rated R-value. I'm willing to spend the extra money if it means that I'll end up with a quality result, it's just that I haven't seen in any of the magazines (This Old House, Fine Homebuilding, Etc.) the idea of spraying on the underside of the roof; it's generally celulose between the ceiling joists or open-cell foam on the ceiling joists. On the other hand, this would seal the attic up and create an air block which logically makes sense. Again, any advice is really appreciated.

-Steve