+ Reply to Thread

Default heating & cooling

Hello,
    I have a question regarding Cooling & Heating. I purchased my house 1999. It was built by D.R.Horton. It is a 2400 sq.ft house. 1 story, 4 bedrooms, & 2 full baths. I have been battling heating & cooling for the past 10 years. I have added 2 wind turbines, added 20 bags of blown in insulation, sprayed radiant barrier, changed outside AC unit (Trane 5 ton 10 seer), changed to a programmable thermostat, added solar screen on windows. I had an energy efficient company come & evaluate my house. They insulated the vents & did minor adjustments. I had a AC technician enlarge my return in the main hallway where I use 3 (12X24X1 Filters). So with all that being said my electric bill through out the year is anywhere between $250-500. I want to know how many returns are you supposed to have. I have talked to several people at my work & they have said that I should at least have a return in my Masterbedroom. If so should I get the return added on the ceiling or on the wall closer to the floor. My house to me doesn't ventilate evenly. 1 side of the house would be a lot more cooler than the other side & vise versa around the winter time it would be more hotter on one side & not quite so warm on the other. I have done a lot of research but cannot find the answer to my question. I would like to have my ac cool evenly & warm evenly. I also would like to reduce my electric bill.

Default Re: heating & cooling

Howdy consider having a home energy audit ,including a thremo scan of the walls and ceiling to determine what you need to do next. Then get a couple bids from heaing/ cooliong contractors about any additional venting return or otherwise.

You did not say what type of fuel you use for heat, or what part of the country you live in, or what you pay per KWH. A 10 seer is very inefficient and have not even been manufactured for several years now due to Federal regulations. They are energy hogs. I doubt that the return size is the cause of your problem.

Your return air has to be at least as much as your supply, more won't hurt. When we do retro's and the air handler is in the attic, both supply and returns are in the ceiling. As for where they go, if your house is large then spread the returns out also, put one in the hottest and coldest room. You say the A/C guy made the return opening bigger, did he put a bigger duct on the same return? If not the bigger opening will do no good. When you changed out the Condenser did you upsize to 5 ton? If you did, did you put the same size coil in? If not that could be your problem. Did you do a temp. drop across the coil? It should be 15-20 degrees but it will get lower the longer it runs because the return air is getting cooler, check your supply air 60-64 degrees is fine. If your having problems with both Heat and A/C it is very possible that it has to do with Air Flow. Good Luck!!!

It sounds like you have one main filter grille in the hall with that takes three 12X24X1 filters? The rule of thumb is 2 CFM per square inch. You have 864 X 2 equals 1728 CFM. There could be other factors, of course. A five ton A/C should run away with it. I've seen older homes with 1400 sq. ft. cool with a 2 ton. Also, some of the newer 2 story homes are cooling at 850 sq. ft. per ton.

Sorry. Needed to add that your system needs (at least) 2000 CFM.
    You're possibly short if you only have the one. Good luck.

Kind of old thread
    "Lead by Example"