+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing Paint from Popcorn Stucco

My Craftsman style house was built in 1918. Over the years the popcorn stucco exterior has seen many coats of paint. Much of it is now pealing and bubbling.

I have spent the last two years scrapping paint from the wood surfaces and that is about done. Now its time to address the stucco.

I have tried heat and the paint just seems to sit there. It doesn't bubble up like it does on the wood I have scrapped. It softens, but then how do I remove it from the popcorn surface? I used putty knives and scrappers on the wood surfaces, but they don't work on the popcorn. I have considered chemical strippers, but that would be pretty expensive.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Default Re: Removing Paint from Popcorn Stucco

As long as it is in good shape and not full of cracks, you might check into water blasting. It's basically a high powered stream of water from a gas powered machine that you can rent from most rental stores. The stream blows through the bubbles and under the peeling parts and knocks all the paint off. It's messy and you'll have paint chips all over, not to mention you should buy some disposable ponchos but it worked quite well on my granparents stucco house built in the early 40s.
    Proud to be suburban free.

Wink Re: Removing Paint from Popcorn Stucco

I would try a wire wheel to knock off all of the loose paint and let the rest alone. Anything that isn't loose you can paint over. If you get too aggressive you will lose the texture of the stucco.

Calcats

Default Re: Removing Paint from Popcorn Stucco

Many thanks. I have actually been able to get some off with paint stripper and a hose. I will try a power washer next.

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by KCPumpkinStalker View Post
    As long as it is in good shape and not full of cracks, you might check into water blasting. It's basically a high powered stream of water from a gas powered machine that you can rent from most rental stores. The stream blows through the bubbles and under the peeling parts and knocks all the paint off. It's messy and you'll have paint chips all over, not to mention you should buy some disposable ponchos but it worked quite well on my granparents stucco house built in the early 40s.