+ Reply to Thread

Default restoring mildewed exterior oak timbers

I have an 8 year old timberframe with a large porch with lots of white oak timbers and tongue-in-grove pine. The wood was treated several times with swedish oil, just like the indoor timbers. Over the years, mildew and dirt attached to the wood. 4 years ago, a bleach solution and power washing did the trick, with oil then reapplied. The mildew and dirt came back much heavier. We have not used the oil since and have tried many chemicals (stripper, restorer, brightener, bleach) and power washing to clean the mildew/dirt, remove the remaining oil and restore the oak to its original appearance -- unsuccessfully (the pine looks pretty good now) -- in preparation for a semi-transparent stain like Sikkens SRD. Any suggestions before I'm forced to spend a couple months with a random orbital sander? The home is in Michigan and the porch faces north. Photos attached. Many thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4022.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	2691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4023.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	2692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4021.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	2693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4020.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	2694  

Default Re: restoring mildewed exterior oak timbers

Boy, that looks like a maintenance headache. I'd hate to stain it, but thinking that might be your best bet. Not sure if I would try to stain the pine a little lighter than the oak to bring out the different woods, or just stain all of it a walnut. A walnut up against a off-white trim might be nice.

I have a ceiling on my covered porch that I stained with a gel stain and it looks great. That said, you have posts that are in the weather.

I'm sure some paint pros might have an idea for you.