+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garage Floor

Hybrid View

Default Garage Floor

I have just had a new concrete garage floor installed. I want to coat/paint it because the garage will be used as a party room for my large family holiday functions. The garage will of course house my cars and I need a floor that can stand up to rolling my hydraulic jack across it when I work on my car, etc. What is the best coating to use? I am leaning towards an epoxy coating like Rust-Oleum's professional garage floor coating. What is the best epoxy coating to use?

Default Re: Garage Floor

In a previous house, about four years ago, I used an epoxy product from Home Depot - Behr brand, I'm pretty sure.

Since mine was an older and thus dirtier floor, I needed to first scrub it down and pressure wash it, then follow that with an acid wash to etch it before applying the paint.

Since your floor is new, you might not have to do all the pre-cleaning, but will probably still need to acid wash to remove any 'impurities.'

BTW, I sold the house a couple years ago, so don't know how it held up over time, but the floor still looked 'like new' after about two years.
    Jim D.

Quote Originally Posted by 5chevy6 View Post
    I have just had a new concrete garage floor installed. I want to coat/paint it because the garage will be used as a party room for my large family holiday functions. The garage will of course house my cars and I need a floor that can stand up to rolling my hydraulic jack across it when I work on my car, etc. What is the best coating to use? I am leaning towards an epoxy coating like Rust-Oleum's professional garage floor coating. What is the best epoxy coating to use?
    "The best" is applied by professional companies. Of course, it also costs at least 5X as much as hitting Lowes/HD/Sams/Costco and picking up their epoxy garage kits.

Make sure to allow a good long cure on the new floor before coating it, and follow the directions for the kits (most will still require a full cleaning of a new floor to get rid of any leachates from the curing) - some kits may recommend a time to wait on a new floor.

I used a kit from Sam's Club, SuperCoat, but it's probably more expensive than the R-O from HD/Lowes. Now if I could just SEE it under the clutter ;-)
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

I would highly recommend you stay away from that Rustolium product...TOTAL JUNK.
    I'm getting ready to do a floor for a client using a commercial product from veron coatings.This is the real deal epoxy.It's a 5 step process,and if done correctly,will last forever.However as far as dragging around a floor jack,it will take it's toll regardless of what coating you put down.
    The stuff is pricey but you'll only have to do it once.

And it's definitely a 2 person job because of the pot life from the catalyst.Just remember to pour the product and roll it around instead of dip and roll.

That being said,if I were you, I would do the entire floor w/epoxy, and in the bay where the work will be done use those click together high density floor mats in a contrasting color would look so cool.(google it)

Be careful with the product you choose and if it has an optional non-slip additive that you can use...get it! I sealed my basement floor (can't remember the product I used), but it took awhile before the gloss finish wore off and I stopped slipping on it.

I hope you're not planning on using this floor for a July 4th celebration. I don't know about other products, but the one I used couldn't be walked on for a week and nothing should be set on it for 2-3 weeks.
    Last edited by petefritz; 06-13-2007 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added info

We put a Home Depot epoxy floor covering down in our fairly new garage (it was 1 yr old when we did it). Unloading the garage and cleaning the floor were major parts of the process, in my mind. We ended up needing more product than indicated on the box, as a side note. It's been down for over a year now, which means it's been through one New England winter. It looks good, but it has taken a few dings where the coating has chipped a bit. If you plan on dragging big equipment across the floor, you might want a coating that's a bit more heavy duty. I'm thinking the floor coatings-in-a-box from the HD's or Lowe's are more cosmetic.

I hope this is not too far off topic, but before placing any epoxy on my new garage floor, I was hoping to put some DryLock on first (the garage sits on and abuts a natural spring and I want to avoid any future seepage or wetness in there).

Anyone ever encounter any issues with putting these two products together on a floor?