+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default What's on your must-do list in the fall?

What do you like to do around the house in November (perhaps in prep for Thanksgiving)? Your answer may get featured in our issue (along with your name and possibly your photo). Please ask friends and family to send suggestions too. Thanks!!

Cool Re: What's on your must-do list in the fall?

Our half bathroom was half-carpet and half ceramic tile before the cat turned it into a litter box. Now it's half exposed subfloor and half tile. We didn't like the bathroom anyway, so now is as good a time as any to remodel. We have to remove the sink, vanity and toilet to replace the flooring, might as well put in something we like before we have family for Thanksgiving.
    The same cat also did a number on the carpet on the stairs, so that is on the to do list as well, but I'm not sure what we're going to do.

Wink Re: What's on your must-do list in the fall?

I think along with the remodeling you need to buy the cat (since they rule the house) something to claw on instead of your carpet. We bought a large playground with seisel rope and cubicles for the cat to climb, hide and claw on. Maybe after you buy that the cat might let you stay in the house (as long as you feed him/her)ha ha.

Calcats

Smile Re: What's on your must-do list in the fall?

south of Boston

clean the gutters
    final raking of the leaves
    winterizer (fertilizer)
    remove screens
    clean the windows to get ready for christmas candles and decor
    shutoff outside water
    get ready for a long winter

Although I like to keep busy, I don't necessarily "like" to do these things.

Default Re: What's on your must-do list in the fall?

My must do list involves redoing carpets in 3 bedrooms & possibly adding more insulation in the attic.
    Benny

1. Put away the lawn furniture and umbrellas.
    2. Clean the gardens out front.
    3. Mow the lawn one last time to remove leaves. My lawn is 1 1/2 acres. The lawn mower is about to die after this summers rains.
    4. Wash the windows (my least favorite thing).
    5. I want to have my hardwood floors refinished and polished.
      Plant some more trees.

Smile Re: What's on your must-do list in the fall?

When my wife and I bought our house she said the inside had to be done first! We (I) have remodeled most every room and we added on a formal dining room and library just over a year ago.

We are now in the process of doing the outside. We just had a new shadow box fence with two arbors installed, to replace a worn out, crooked fence that we inherited. I've built octagonal borders(4x6 treated timbers)around all of the trees to hold mulch. Want to add landscaping, build a retaining wall (to divide the back yard into two level tiers) and maybe a water feature. And, maybe, just maybe, try to grow some grass!!!

I don't know exactly what is on my husband's list but this is mine, therefore his:

1. Get up all the leaves.

2. Fill compost bin with leaves.

3. Bag the rest of the leaves.

4. Pick out all the leaves from the shrubs. Our back garden has no lawn at all. It is a long T-shaped terrace with paths winding all around through shrubberies and perennial beds. It is a certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat.

5. Get up all the acorns. We can fill trash dumper after dumper with them and if we don't get them they sprout everywhere.

7. Remove dead plants from the vegetable garden, cut up for trash dumper. We can't leave any bad insects to overwinter in them. Not that we have many. The birds do a great job of eating them up.

8. Remove flowered canes from the blackberries, put in trash dumper. We don't deadhead the flowers on our property but leave the seeds for the birds.

9. Weed out the beds, especially going after tree seedlings. Our mulberry tree (for the birds) must think it is the last of its species and wants to repopulate the planet.

10. Clean off the terrace.

11. Wash the outdoor furniture and cover it for the winter.

12. Check the gas grill and get rid of any critters. Put it to bed for the winter.

13. Wash and sterilize all the bird feeders, fill them and hang them up. Keep them filled and clean. Clean the bird baths and keep them filled with fresh water. Clean out the birdhouses.

14. Clean the gutters if we have any by then. We are supposed to get new ones.

15. Clean the front porch, washing all glass, and hang the fall wreath on the front door.

16. Bring the houseplants from the back terrace into the garage, pull them from the pots and get rid of all the slugs hiding in the bottom. Prune them and clean them up. Bring them all back in for the winter.

17. In the front yard, rake up all the pine straw and use it to mulch the flower beds.

The week before Thanksgiving:

18. Polish all the silver, including flatware, bowls, wine coolers, etc.

19. Clean up the dining room and begin to decorate. Buy a perfect small pumpkin and some gourds for the arrangement on the sideboard.

20. Plan the menu.

21. Buy what groceries can be bought early.

22. One of two days before the big dinner, buy all the fresh produce. Set the table for dinner.
    23. Clean house.

24. After Thanksgiving, collapse and rest for a few days.

25. First Sunday of Advent put the candles in all the windows.

26. Begin to decorate for Christmas, little by little.

27. Sc**** the old caulk off the TV room windows and recaulk and paint.

28. Pull the carpeting off the stairs. It came loose at the bottom when the front hall was updated with a ceramic tile floor. Paint the risers.

29. Remove the wallpaper from the stairwell.

30. Replace the upstairs doors with stain grade six panel doors. Then paint them.

31. Get the chair railing from the garage and paint it. Put it up in the bedrooms. Ditto the crown moulding and put it in the master bedroom. The chair railing and crown moulding were taken down when we remodeled the family room into a huge dining room and repaced it.

32. Touch up my husband's messy paint jobs in the front hall and kitchen.

33. Repaint the door jam in the downstairs loo. I just scrubbed the filth of many young hands from it and took the paint right off.

34. Seal the tile floors in the kitchen, front hall and downstairs loo.

35. Finish insulating the attic over the dining room.

36. Put up the ceiling fan in the TV room.

37. Replace the faulty electrical outlets in my bedroom.

This is a start. I know I'll think of a lot more to do.
    Last edited by cathairetic; 08-17-2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: senior moment
    Blessed are the Purr in Heart.

Cats know your every thought. They don't care, but they know.

He who dislikes a cat was in his former life a rat.

Forum Rules violators will be shredded! Read my claws!

Vocatus atque non Vocatus Deus aderit

§ Cathairetic §

I have to insulate my home better. There's a toilet that has plumbing routed through an exterior wall that freezes every time the temperature gets below 2o degrees.
    2009 kitchen remodel warrior

asbolute black granite
    Antique White Hidden Content
    Travertine 18" x 18" floor tiles.
    It looks Great!!

What needs to be done or “must be done”?

What “must be done” are a few charity poker runs. Seeing my son and grand boys. A quick trip to Lake Powell and an early November trip for golf in Vegas.

The rest can wait.