+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's on your must-do list in the fall?

What do you like to do around the house in November (perhaps in prep for Thanksgiving)? Your answer may get featured in our issue (along with your name and possibly your photo). Please ask friends and family to send suggestions too. Thanks!!

Default Re: What's on your must-do list in the fall?

Repaint my porch and upkeep the lawn. Must prepare as early as now for the halloween.

I take advantage of a clear warm day in the late fall to wash the windows. The lower sun angle at that time of year aids in eliminating streaks, and clean windows make the rooms seem brighter; as the days shorten, that's important!

I have also ordered some weatherstripping on line which I intend to use to save several gallons (I hope) of heating oil this winter, or at the very least eliminate a draft or two.
    Casey
    Last edited by Sombreuil_mongrel; 09-08-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

This fall I'm going to China.

When I come back I have to replace a roof (after I recover from the flight that is)

I've got new windows to install in my porch (I just got around to painting them..they've been sittin on the porch for 3 years : ) I've got a new section of copper, round gutter to install around the same porch (the rains from Irene made me realize I need more gutter), AND lastly, I'm looking at creative ways to re-landscape my front lawn so there is less grass. I'm tired of it looking terrific in the spring...to then only have it die out and get sparse in the summer's heat and drought.

1- Pray for rain.
    2- Vote and hope that this time it makes a difference
    3- Turn off the AC and let the fresh breezes blow through the house at night, provided it doesn't reek of forest fire.

check all the caulking on the windows and doors to make sure there are no entry points for water and heat loss.

clean the gutters so the leaves wont clog the downspouts when the rain season starts.

top off the attic with more insulation to keep heating costs down.

put down lime on the lawn
    fire up the saw and make some dust

We have several! Just purchased a 160 YO house in New England. We have several rooms that don't have any insulation and first step this fall is to section these off from the main house as we work on smaller projects throughout the house (like getting some outlets grounded). Just picked up a truckbed full of foiled foam boards to create an insulated barrier from the shoddy additions done in the 50s.

Clean gutters after the leaves fall and replace any leaf guards you have in place. Caution: If the gutters are too high or difficult to get too, hire someone or rent a manlift to get the job done. It is not worth serious injury or worse to yourself to save a few bucks.

Trim trees after they lose their leaves as you can now easily see the branches that need to get trimmed. Again use a manlift or hire it done if anything is higher then using a stepladder will handle.

Add insulation where you need to. Caulk and seal any areas that need it.

1. Rake Leaves
    2. Cut Grass nice and short in preparation for winter.
    3. Rake Leaves again
    4. Disconnect and store all exterior hoses.
    5. Rake more leaves
    6. Turn exterior power to Central AC off and cover Central AC system to protect from leaves, rain, and snow.
    7. Rake leaves again
    8. Check exterior caulking and repair as necessary
    9. Rake some more leaves.
    8. Get snow shovels out of storage. Changle oil, replace spark plug, and lube gears in snow blower.
    9. Rake what is hopefully the last of the leaves
    10. Clean cutters and down spouts
    11. Rake more leaves