+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Funding for historic building preservation

We are looking to buy a historic commercial building and restore it for our primary residence. Having been a historic home owner we are aware of some low interest loans for the home we purchased 8 years ago. Is there any special funding or grants available that maybe help us to restore this building that would not have to be paid back? We plan to purchase and put a lot of our own money into it for restoration, but the building has been vacant for over 30 years and needs stabilization, roof, and windows, and other major repairs. As it sits now, there are no windows and some major cracks in the building itself. No heating, plumbing, or much else for that matter. The building is on the state historic register. Can anyone help me find funds or advise me on where to look?

Default Re: Funding for historic building preservation

Ah, you want other tax payers to pay your bills for your gratification?
    Last edited by kentvw; 10-14-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
    We are looking to buy a historic commercial building and restore it for our primary residence. Having been a historic home owner we are aware of some low interest loans for the home we purchased 8 years ago. Is there any special funding or grants available that maybe help us to restore this building that would not have to be paid back? We plan to purchase and put a lot of our own money into it for restoration, but the building has been vacant for over 30 years and needs stabilization, roof, and windows, and other major repairs. As it sits now, there are no windows and some major cracks in the building itself. No heating, plumbing, or much else for that matter. The building is on the state historic register. Can anyone help me find funds or advise me on where to look?
    I certainly hope there isn't.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Is the house on the state register (do you mean state historic landmark?) or National Register? What the building is listed under will determine the availability of incentives for you. There are tax deferrals, grants, and possibly others, depending on what your specific state offers. Begin here: 1. contact your local preservation organization/society and then 2.State Historic Preservation Office. Since you plan to restore the building for non-income producing purposes, the amount of deferrals or incentives will be smaller compared if you were planning to restore/rehab for income-producing, since this would be putting money back into your local economy. I will say this about your windows, it will be less expensive to replace the windows with wooden ones = they will last longer than vinyl and aluminum, and most importantly, wood is more likely the appropriate material for your building. For your HVAC, check with your state again on available tax deductions for installing energy efficient systems, they are out there! Ignore the previous replies; some people just do not understand how local and federal govt's see the significance of restoring a recognized historic building. We all know this is a largely involved project and this is why there is financial assitance. Good luck!
    Last edited by abelyea; 10-15-2008 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    ah, you want other tax payers to pay your bills for your gratification?
    no...we are paying cash for the building and most of the renovations. I do not think you understand how extensive this restoration would be. The city and everyone we have talked to want to see this great building come back to its splendor. It is currently the biggest eye sore in the entire city and we would not only be doing it for our own gain, but to perserve history and beautify the city. The history on this building alone would write several books.:d

Ah, I misunderstood. So the building is donated back to the city when you are done.

That is very philanthropic.

Exclamation Re: Funding for historic building preservation

Quote Originally Posted by abelyea View Post
    is the house on the state register (do you mean state historic landmark?) or national register? What the building is listed under will determine the availability of incentives for you. There are tax deferrals, grants, and possibly others, depending on what your specific state offers. Begin here: 1. Contact your local preservation organization/society and then 2.state historic preservation office. Since you plan to restore the building for non-income producing purposes, the amount of deferrals or incentives will be smaller compared if you were planning to restore/rehab for income-producing, since this would be putting money back into your local economy. I will say this about your windows, it will be less expensive to replace the windows with wooden ones = they will last longer than vinyl and aluminum, and most importantly, wood is more likely the appropriate material for your building. For your hvac, check with your state again on available tax deductions for installing energy efficient systems, they are out there! Ignore the previous replies; some people just do not understand how local and federal govt's see the significance of restoring a recognized historic building. We all know this is a largely involved project and this is why there is financial assitance. Good luck!
    thanks for your reply. I do not think these people realize how extensive this renovation will be. I do know this building is on the national register and it is unfortunate that the building has gotten to the point it is at. There is currently no windows left in the building. I agree that wood windows should be used to replace the originals as it gives the building a better asthethic for the age. The building is from 1909 and will be seeing its 100 anniversary next year. Although not as old as some, this building has some jaw dropping stories behind it. The building has been through some major historical events. I will withhold comment on those, as some will lead this conversation elsewhere based on that alone. I personally have a bond with this building and am very passionate about my project. If others do not share that and want to criticize me for looking for government assistance to restore a historical building, then they should not be a part of this old house discussions. As toh is for those of us passionate about old homes and buildings!

ah, i misunderstood. So the building is donated back to the city when you are done.

no, it will become a residence as no one has cared for this building since the 1970's. The city could not step in as a private individual has had possession of this building. That individual left the building to rot for over 30 years. The people of the town are anxious to see us restore it as so many of them have lived there for generations. Many people there currently see it as an eyesore and can remember back to the last time they set foot in there with fond memories of what it used to be. I will have the task of getting rid of the bats, birds, mice and whatever other critters have invaded it. Then replacing every bit of heating, plumbing, sewer, plaster, windows, roof and trying to repair the exterior. Hauling dozens of dumpsters of trash just from the grounds that surround the property to make it sanitary. And that is just the beginning....

ah, i misunderstood. So the building is donated back to the city when you are done.

you sarcasism is not appreciated and you should not be a part of toh. You ruin the integrity of this site! Resign your ugly comments!

Wink Re: Funding for historic building preservation

Quote Originally Posted by jlmcdaniel View Post
    i certainly hope there isn't.
    Jack
    i am starting to see that you are very self centered jackass! People try to do good things in the communities in which they live and all you care about is how much of that came from your wallet. Read the comments and remarks i have made regarding this property....how would you like to live in a city with buildings that are decaying and have grounds full of unsanitary trash! One person can make a difference and i will probably inspire others and hopefully can help this city define new boundaries to step in earlier to prevent buildings from getting to the point mine is at.

If you've got nothing better to do than sit around on your computer and make comments like this, go find another forum that puts of with your negative, egotistical comments because toh is not where you belong.