+ Reply to Thread

Default Request for recommendation for vacuum cleaner

Can anyone recommend a heavy duty vacuum cleaner to clean my barn floor? I need a vacuum cleaner that will not clog up easily when it encounters larger than average size particles. The Electolux that I currently use continually clogs.

Thanks.

Ted Andrews

Default Re: Request for recommendation for vacuum cleaner

Being somewhat of an expert on vacuums, I would say that the Electrolux is the LAST vacuum you should choose for anything. Current day Electrolux's are NOT the same vacuum that your mother or grandmother had. The current brand name is held by Eureka, which is what would be considered an "entry" level vacuum brand, a cheap vacuum, cheaply made, low to moderate performance values.

Before offering an opinion on a brand, what are "larger than average" sized particles, and what is the average daily/weekly useage, and what is the budget for said vacuum? It would also be good to know if you're cleaning carpets or bare floors.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I mostly use the vacuum on wood and cement surfaces. It is used partly in a barn storage area. I can't recall specifically what is clogging the hose, but it is probably splinters of wood that tend to crop up. I am spending too much time unclogging vacuum hoses.

Thanks.

Hmm, any long and hard item will tend to clog a vacuum hose because it will get caught in the ribs of the hose and cannot bend to be pulled free. The two things that come to mind is a larger diameter hose OR fixing the floor so that it doesn't splinter. I would think that a splintering floor would be a safety hazard to people using the room, let alone clogging the vacuum. Short of that, a shop vac may be the better vacuum to use, as the hose is a larger diameter and generally will have more suction than vacuums designed for household use.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I think that a shop vac may be the answer.

The shop vacs I have seen, however, have not had the wide nozzle that I prefer. Can you recommend a shop vac with a wide nozzle and strong suction?

Thanks.

We have not had time to review shop vacs yet on our site (see signature line for link ), however I have had experience with several models throughout my construction days. Most brands have various attachments available that include hose extensions, wide floor heads, solid tube extensions, and an array of accessory tools available for all kinds of tasks.

I can't recommend a specific brand or model because I don't know exactly what your needs are. What I would recommend is to Google the various brand names such as Shop Vac, Dewalt, Rigid, and others. The manufacturers sites can give you specific details as well as compare different sizes and models.

Another possibility is and indoor/outdoor vac like this http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....roduct_ID=2134 no hose to clog.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If you get a shop vacuum, consider getting a filter made by W. L. Gore. (They make the Gore-Tex membrane used in waterproof clothing, which is actually made out of teflon.) When I cleaned new houses for a home builder -- average of one a day -- my Gore filter provided superior filtering (finer particles), didn't clog as much, was washable, and lasted a very long time.

BTW, the vacuum I used was a "6 HP" Sears Craftsman. It was loud, so I wore hearing protection, but it did the job handily. I didn't have to deal with splinters clogging the hose.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

A vacuum cleaner for a barn floor!?!

I think what you should be looking for is a push broom! :0

I would sweep up larger particles and then finish up with "the boss" canister vacuum. I've had mine for maybe 30 yrs. It has a plastic body but it amazes people with its suction power. Bags are tiny but I use it daily and on a good deal of sawdust (and dog hair). Never thought I'd wax eloquent on the magic of a fine plebian machine. But there's nothing as good as a broom for major mess.