+ Reply to Thread

Default Inspector said to ground 2 outlets--can I just add GFCI and add sticker?

I can't afford to rewire the whole house -- can I just add a GFCI outlet and put a "not grounded" sticker on it? I'm in North Texas if that matters.
    Last edited by Drewster; 08-06-2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: adding state

Default Re: Inspector said to ground 2 outlets--can I just add GFCI and add sticker?

Not an electrician, but to ground 2 outlets, the whole house doesn't need to be rewired.
    GFI outlets must be grounded.
    A building inspector or a house inspector hired when buying a house.

Default Re: Inspector said to ground 2 outlets--can I just add GFCI and add sticker?

First, a GFI does not have to be grounded.
    Second,Why did the inspector say that two outlets need to be grounded? Are all the rest grounded, if so you may just have a loose connection on the two, if not there is no code requirement, that I know of, to ground ungrounded outlets.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    First, a GFI does not have to be grounded.
    Second,Why did the inspector say that two outlets need to be grounded? Are all the rest grounded, if so you may just have a loose connection on the two, if not there is no code requirement, that I know of, to ground ungrounded outlets.
    Jack
    I agree, maybe they were grounding type receptacles, which must be properly grounded unless they are GFI's. Also the sticker has no effect on their operation or legality.