+ Reply to Thread

Default New garage panel

I need to rewire my garage to accommodate some woodworking equip (110 table saw; 110 bandsaw; 110 lathe; 220 jointer; 110 compressor with future additions of a 220 dust collector & a 220 compressor).

Right now there is just a small 2 breaker box with 110 circuits that won't even handle my 110 compressor without tripping!

The garage is separate from the house by 36'. To complicate matters, the main box is on the opposite side of the house from the garage. In all, the run from the main box to the garage will be about 100'.

What size wire should I use from the main panel to the sub-panel in the garage? 8?

Also. can I mount the box between wall studs or does it have to be on top of them (so to speak)?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Default Re: New garage panel

Your question begs It depends.

More questions than answers:

Overhead feed? Underground?
    Conduit size.
    Size of space.
    Amperage of equipment.
    Grounding?
    All equipment used at once.
    Service size.
    Other electrical needs like lighting, heating, chargers etc.

Those are just a few.

NEC is of course correct more info is needed to acurutly size the sub panel and wiring. Personally considering how woodworking hobbies tend to grow I would start with 6ga and a 50 amp sub-panel.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

For NEC:
    - The feed from the main panel to the sub-panel will go through the basement (no conduit) then underground through 1 1/2" PVC conduit.
    - The main panel is 100 amp.
    - The garage is 30' x 24'.
    - Max amps on the equip is 15.
    - The sub-panel will be grounded at the garage with 2 - 8' grounding rods. I think this is up to code.
    - There will be florescent light; probably 5 fixtures with 2 tubes each. No heating.
    - I would think there would be a max to 2 pieces of equip going at once --- the dust collector (220 15 amps) and 1 piece of woodworking equip (i.e. table saw, jointer, band saw, lathe)with max amp of 15.

The sub-panel will be grounded at the garage with 2 - 8' grounding rods. I think this is up to code.

only 1 ground rod is required at a seperate structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Richmond820 View Post
    Thanks to both of you for your responses. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

For NEC:
    - The feed from the main panel to the sub-panel will go through the basement (no conduit) then underground through 1 1/2" PVC conduit.
    - The main panel is 100 amp.
    - The garage is 30' x 24'.
    - Max amps on the equip is 15.
    - The sub-panel will be grounded at the garage with 2 - 8' grounding rods. I think this is up to code.
    - There will be florescent light; probably 5 fixtures with 2 tubes each. No heating.
    - I would think there would be a max to 2 pieces of equip going at once --- the dust collector (220 15 amps) and 1 piece of woodworking equip (i.e. table saw, jointer, band saw, lathe)with max amp of 15.
    No heat? Methinks you may want to rework that one.And think about other upgrades later that may fall into the mix.
    Good luck the project.
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 08-08-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spell check

100A in the house? Seems a bit light to me, especially if you ever hook up a welder. You might want to consider upgrading the panel in the house to 200A. You'd likely have to upgrade the meter base and incoming lines. If you have overhead supply, the power company will provide that up to the mast; I'd guess the upgrade would set you back $500-1000 for DIY plus whatever for the garage. Double that if you hire an electrician.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.