+ Reply to Thread

Default No room for switchplates.

The general contractor of the new kitchen in our 40-year-old house installed new molding at the entryways on either end of the kitchen. One leads into the dining room, the other into the family room. We also installed a tile backsplash that runs from one end to the other of that side of the kitchen. The problem is that the contractor did not make accommodations for switchplates at either entryway, so now, we either have to cut the switchplates to fit the much narrower allowance(which I think will look tacky, as the ones we have selected have a raised border), or we have to cut into wood molding on one side of the room and tile on the other side. I know I'm being anal about this, but it really makes me angry that the contractor did not plan for this BEFORE the molding and the tile were installed. In fact, he was feuding with the tile installer before the tile was installed and did not confer with him. So now I'm stuck with either an expensive re-do or stupid-looking switchplates. Does anyone have any alternatives, or am I stuck with these two choices?

Needham, MA

Default Re: No room for switchplates.

it looks like you got stuck with a sub-par contractor. you paid good money to have the work done on your home so leave it up to him to fix the problem at no cost to you. if you haven't finished paying him hold off until it's fixed. that's DEFINITELY something that a good contractor would not let happen. it's 100% his fault so make him fix it.

tearing out a few tiles and moving an electric box isn't the hardest job in the world, just more of an annoyance than anything else.