+ Reply to Thread

Default Reuse engineer flooring

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on some engineered hardwood flooring from a lcoal reuse store. The flooring looks fairly good.

I had a question about refinishing before or after installation. Would it be better to run the flooring through a stationary drum sander to clean it up (taking off less than 1/32") or installing it, then going through the refinish process. The one advantage I see in using a drum sander is that I could most likely maintain a uniform thickness, plus I could stain it. It would then be installed and finished like any other flooring project.

Any other suggestions?

Brian

Default Re: Reuse engineer flooring

I would use the stationary sander to remove the existing finish, then install, finish sand in place, stain, seal. The reason for this is that there will be irregularities in the floor as it's installed, so if you want a perfectly smooth floor you'll have to sand it in place. Second issue with prefinishing is that you would undoubtedly get sealer over the edges of the T&G interlocks which will create gaps. You could remill the edges after the finish is applied, but that's a whole bunch more work. It would be easier to finish in place.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Reuse engineer flooring

That makes sense. Thanks.

Brian