+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flush header

Default Flush header

I have read all the threads about header..construction of/what kind to use/etc..And have not seen this addressed.Is it possible to have the header flush with ceiling.

Technical part.We are taking out a wall(load bearing) that separated 2 bedrooms and making it into 1 large living room.Above it is a second floor and a small attic crawl space(about 3 feet high).It is a gambrel type roof so it will have some snow on it but not for long periods.Last winter we had some hefty snow and longest it stayed was about 3 days and it did not get over 6 inches because of the steep incline.Directly above this wall we will be building a dividing wall on 2nd floor to make 2 bedrooms.There will also be a closet on each side of 2nd floor wall.There has never been a wall above it on 2nd floor.We have a basement and there is a supporting pole about midpoint of wall to be removed.

The length of the wall, including a door to be removed is 14.5 ft long.The wall has the studs at 16 OC. The wall begins at the exterior side wall of the house and will tie into a header above the basement door which then continues to another wall with header extending down about 12 inches from ceiling between the kitchen and dining room to the other exterior wall on opposite side of house.

We were thinking of using 2 poles on either end covered with decorative columns to add support.However the big question is can we install the header flush with the cieling so it does not come out of the cieling like it does between our kitchen and dining room? How? Any sites that may contain instructions?

Also for this size opening I am guessing we should use either steel beam or LVL for header?

In kitchen/dining rm the header looks like it is 12" top to bottom and 5" in. wide.In there it is about 11' long it is made of wood with ply sandwiched between.

I will also be contacting town .Still suggestions would be nice.Thanks in advance,

Default Re: Flush header

You would need the load calculated to size the header for the job. If you've got height clearance issues then a dual header may be necessary to be able to use undersized members and still support the weight. Consult with an engineer for the calculations.

As far as installing the header, you would build temporary support walls to support the existing load while the existing wall is removed and the header installed into the ceiling/floor cavity. The engineer will spec the size of the header and any hangers necessary for the installation. Also, that load will have to be transferred to the ground, which will entail support columns within the walls and quite possibly foundation/pier work under the house.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Wink Re: Flush header

I agree with A.Spruce, this project is not for the faint of heart DIY'er. You need a good engineer and a good general contractor to get all the loose ends tied together.

Calcats

Default Re: Flush header

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    all the above statements are true. but in order to do it the floor above must be shored up then the joists cut back the width of the header so to set it in between the joists then hang the joists off of it
    One step at a time, one step at a time!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!