+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shower Head

Default Shower Head

I'm installing a new shower. The shower head will be exiting the wall through drywall. I need to mount the shower head "drop ear elbow". My question is simple...

How far should the elbow stick out of (or be sunken into) the drywall? Should it be flush?

Default Re: Shower Head

the fitting that accepts the elbow should be located within 1/2" to 1" of the backside of the drywall. then screw it in and about 2-3" should stick straight out from the wall before the elbow.

So, it should be "sunk" behind the drywall surface? (If the drywall is 1/2", the fitting would be flush with the backside of the drywall and the front of the studs...)

yes, or up to one inch deeper than that if you so desire....doesn't have to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by JimfromIndy View Post
    I'm installing a new shower. The shower head will be exiting the wall through drywall. I need to mount the shower head "drop ear elbow". My question is simple...

How far should the elbow stick out of (or be sunken into) the drywall? Should it be flush?
    Put a mounting 2x4(assuming you are using a 2x4 wall) flush to the back side of the wall flat. Mount your drop eared ell to that. It will be fine. If it is mounted flush to front of wall then you will see threads on your shower arm.