+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Remodeling company scam?

I contacted a contractor today to work in my bathroom. He suggested that I not go out and buy tub, surround, toliet, but they would be purchasing it through a plumbing supply company. Is this standard practice? I would have to wait 2 months for these items, yet I can go to Lowes and get it in 10 days. He said even if I buy, lets say Kohler products, they can't guarantee them. I've done my research and know what's good and bad products. Are they just looking to up the bill? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Remodeling company scam?

Always trust your gut instincts.

As suggested, trust your gut.

I can see a contractor being reticent of using cheap products provided by the homeowner because the quality of the job will likely suffer, as will the longevity of the project, both reflecting poorly on the contractor. This does not sound like your case, however. If you are using name brand, quality products, then a reputable contractor shouldn't have any issues installing them. Ultimately, the contractor is only responsible for their installation, any defect of the product would be up to you to file for warranty repair/replacement. Look for a contractor who doesn't mind installing your products.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i agree with all the above statements. i'm a contractor and i have never insisted on a cstomer purchasing items through me. Actually i usually tell them that they're responsible for picking everything out and i'd be happy to purchase them if they can't pick them up due to the lack of a truck. any contractor you hire should be working for you and looking out for your best interests, how do you think we get referals. i'd stay away from them and work with someone that you're 100% comfortable with.

Thanks for the input. I have another contractor who will give me an estimate, so we'll see what he says.