+ Reply to Thread

Question Drywall above tub surround

Just wondering if its okay to leave painted drywall above tub surround (20 inches) OR must I tile it or put something over this to prevent moisture damage? If I must tile, what if the walls aren't even? Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Drywall above tub surround

Drywall is not waterproof. Water from the tub is going to soak it, especially at the margins where it meets the tub. Water behind drywall equals mold.

Put up a waterproof wall covering. It need only be sheet plastic if you're concerned about cost and ease of use over looks. Caulk the seams well. Needs to go up 6 feet or so.

If the wall is uneven, you can use various techniques, but I'd consider ripping out the wallcovering and starting over with greenboard as a backing for your finished wallcovering. If it's only slightly uneven, small tiles and flexible plastic will follow the contours, but again only if you don't care how it looks...

Good luck.

I guess I should have made myself more clear. I'm speaking of the drywall that is above the tub surround, 18" or so to the ceiling. I was thinking of trying mosiac tile and doing it myself, Yikes, or just leaving it as drywall.

thanks

You can paint. I'd recommend a primer like oil based Kilz followed by a semi-gloss finish coat. A flat paint will hold water and discolor, semi-gloss will be easy to wipe off.

I would think that tile above a surround would look a little tacky, but there are people who can pull something like that off, maybe you are one, I know I couldn't.

Yes I'd prefer to just paint it, so I will follow your suggestion. Thanks!

I like to use epoxy paint around water. You might need to go to a real paint store to get it. It is a two part paint that you have to mix together. It works great.

That sounds good. Does it take a long time to dry? I had read somewhere that cetain paints, especially in a bathroom need several days to truly cure.

Thanks