+ Reply to Thread

Thread: broken bulb

Lightbulb broken bulb

hello all, i sure can use some advice here! i have recessed ceiling lights & one has a broken bulb in it which i can't get out. i tried needle nose pliers but that was a no go. any advice on tips or tricks would be really cool & helpful. david

Wink Re: broken bulb

First, make sure the power is off. Some have used a half of a potato to press against the broken bulb and as the chards go into the potato you should be able to turn the bulb out. Another way, if needle nose pliers don't work, is regular pliers. Put the pliers up into the center of the bulb and open them so the jaws are touching each side of the bulb. Apply pressure and turn at the same time. Hope this helps.

Calcats

Default Re: broken bulb

Make sure you're wearing gloves and safety glasses before attempting to remove the bulb base. The last thing you want is glass in your eyes or cut up hands.

One of the tricks with needle nosed pliers is to get a hold of the side of the base (not the socket) and twist. This will collapse the base in away from the socket and you'll be able to either pull it straight out or unscrew it now that it's loose.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Try little spray silicone or liquid wrench at the edge of the base and wait a while before trying any of the methods mentioned above. All safety measures apply.
    I have some usually difficult to remove lamps that I spray a little silicone on the threads and wipe off & let dry before re-installing.

Duct tape use # 496...
    Wad up some duct tape - sticky side out. Push it up into the socket enough to more or less fill it with enough sticking out to hold on to.
    Twist
    Twist
    Twist

Same safety rules as mentioned above.

Two needle nosed pliers working in concert have never failed me.

My grandmother taught me the potato trick yrs ago.
    Its inexpensive and readily available.
    Please pardon me...kinda half asleep. BEFORE STICKING [B]ANY METAL OBJECTS INTO A LIGHT SOCKET ( NEEDLENOSE PLIERS,ETC.)

TURN POWER OFF AT PANEL !
    My apoligies if that was mentioned & I missed

Theres a tool for everything..

http://www.reliablepaper.com/The_Ung..._p/UNGBEBE.htm

I actully bought a set of unger "light bulb changing" tools a few years ago off ebay, came with a pole and assorted tips for changing different types of bulbs, they really do work quite well, specifically that one

I feel like a spammer now
    Help us name our new Hidden Content