+ Reply to Thread

Default "Sugar Sand" in my shallow well

. I had a shallow well installed in the spring. I get 15-16 gpm from it. I put in the irrigation system on the 4th of July weekend. My problems started when I hooked the timer wires up and the valves would stay running. I have eight zones so this is became quite an problem to figure out. Anyways hours and hours later. I come to find out there is sand "sugar sand" (not so sweet) coming from the well. I've had some suggestions saying just keep pumping the well that it will eventually pump out all the "sugar sand". I installed an in-line filter that clogs up after about 20-30 mins. of run time. Well, I'm now about 50-60 hours of pump time on the well. No end is in sight of this sand issue. Any suggestions on a large pool type filter that I can install with some sort of automatic flushing system?

Unhappy Re: "Sugar Sand" in my shallow well

Anyone???

Default Re: "Sugar Sand" in my shallow well

A new well is going to have some sediment problems until the water flow paths are cleaned. Sometimes cleaning the bottom of the well with a trash pump will solve the problem, some times just raising the pickup a little will help, the pickup should not be at the bottom of the well but suspended a couple of feet above the bottom.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you for your response. I will see what I can do with some sort of "trash pump". I'm assuming you are talking about some sort of gas powered pump. Thanks again.

Yes, a trash pump is designed to pump the water and silt. You use it to clean out the very bottom of the well sort of like a vacuum.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb