+ Reply to Thread

Default nailing requirements for romex within 8" of box

Wiring wall receptacles in new detached garage. Framing is 2X6 on 24" centers. Code calls for stapling romex within 8" of box. However, boxes are 6" above hole in stud. Do I still have to staple the wire. Also, how much slack do I need to leave outside the box and will this affect the staple requirment.

THX

Default Re: nailing requirements for romex within 8" of box

AFAIK, no slack outside the box is necessary, and staples are cheaper than the annoyance of having the inspector make you correct that issue, especially if you didn't leave enough slack to staple the wires.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Staples should be placed within 6" of the box, regardless of where the hole in the stud is. The next rule of thumb is you want 6" of wire to penetrate through the box, that's at the point of penetration, not the face of the box.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You should leave enough wire sticking out of the face of the box to easily make connections and future repairs. However, too much wire will be tough to stuff back into the box along with the device it's connected to.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I always staple my wires before entering a switch or outlet box. I leave 5-6 inches of slack wire from the face of the box after i have done my make-up. The idea is that the next person in that box(me?) can pull the device out and inspect and or repair the wiring with out disturbing the wires in the walls.