+ Reply to Thread

Thread: move a sink?

Default move a sink?

I want to move a a kitchen sink and place it on a island so I can open up the kitchen and make it flow into the living room/ dinning room, what factors should I consider? I am about to purchase a high ranch, I have access from the lower level, I am going to tear out the sheet rock because they put carpet all over the walls and ceiling. I know I cant notch out the joist in the middle, but I can put a hole in the center third of the joist not exceeding 2.5 inches. so I can run PVC in sections if needed so I can tie it in with the main drain stack. I have a bathroom on the other side of the dinning room, would it be better to tie it in with that line? would I get less water pressure if I pull off the water supply coming off the bathroom water supply risers? the boiler and furnace are locater under bathroom, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: move a sink?

One consideration is the venting of the sink drain: it is quite a bit more complicated in an island. Not too complicated mind you, but it's easy to mess that part up, because your vent has to go downward since you have no wall for it to go up!
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

i was thinking of that also, once I get into the place I have to see the lay out and whats under the kitchen and the area of where we are going to plan the island. I would prefer to run it straight down to the boiler area, I think that is where the main line is because they have a laundry room next to it. or I can run the PVC piping on a right angel and ties it in with the original drain riser. but since it will have to go through a few joists there will not be any pitch to the pipe and I fear water will pool there. how can I vent it so water will flow freely away from it the island sink and not cause in a back flow? any tips on how I can vet it and where along the pipe I can place a vent, toward the beginning or end of the run? or if I tie it in with the original drain riser can I place it near there?

i found this diagram of running a venting system under the island, but its difficulty to understand were the vent goes?

http://www.rd.com/how-to-plumb-an-is...icle19540.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plumbing-An-Island-Sink-af.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	2665  

Quote Originally Posted by eugd View Post
    i found this diagram of running a venting system under the island, but its difficulty to understand were the vent goes?

http://www.rd.com/how-to-plumb-an-is...icle19540.html
    This is a loop vent used to vent an island sink. The vent runs up the wall and out the roof The new IRC code states theat you can use a quick vent, if it is a true island sink.

are the vent valves in the loop appear to be in the run of the loop or do they pipe off on a separate branch and are mounted vertical? the diagram I attached labels vent in 2-3 places? thats why I am getting more confused.

Default move a sink

thanks for the answers.

But i as looking for something more "automated", where i can just click and the extension will "update" the live server with the information from draft.

Is there anything like that, without having to open phpmyadmin?

thanks