+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moentrol Stuck

Default Moentrol Stuck

I have a Moen faucet in my shower that had a Moentrol. I requires a slotted screwdriver to remove it. It's stuck. Does anyone have an idea besides shocking it with a punch or using WD40 (I've tried these) to remove the stuck Moentrol?

Thanks,

Steve

Default Re: Moentrol Stuck

I actually believe that moen sells a tool for the purpose. It works similar to a handle puller and costs about $15. If that's too expensive for a one time use just be careful not to damage the brass/bronze body of the valve itself. There is also a c-clip that needs to be pulled first.

Shaun

Default Re: Moentrol Stuck

Thanks Shaun but I think you are referring to the faucet cartridge, not the Moentrol valve that is another part of the faucet. I did successfully use a puller for the faucet cartridge (I (needed to).

The Moentrol valve is to the right of the cartridge and has a slotted head for which a wide screwdriver needs to be used (not a "handle puller"). The Moentrol the "flow control" valve of the faucet.

Thanks for responding.

Steve

Talking FIXED - Re: Moentrol Stuck

I solved my problem.

I bought an impact driver that I could hit with a hammer. When I hit the impact driver while in the screwdriver slot of the balancing spool (I erroneously called it a flow control), it would "jar" and "unscrew the balancing spool a tiny bit. That freed it after 3-4 taps with the hammer.

I also bought - but did not have to use - a can of some kind of gas that would "freeze" the end of the balancing spool. My theory is that it would shrink the threads and loosen them. I saved the can for my next adventure.

By the way, Moen said to replace the #1423 balancing spool if it did not rattle when you shook it. Mine did not rattle. I took it apart, removed the calcium build up with sandpaper, picks, and a little soaking in vinegar and saved a few bucks. The faucet now successfully provides both cold and hot water at normal pressure.

Thanks,

Steve
    Last edited by SteveSBE; 08-01-2009 at 04:45 PM.