+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default receptacle grounding

i recently bought a house built in 1959,i think it has the original wireing and breaker box still.when i went to replace the old recepatacles with new i found they were all open grounded.how do i ground them without spending thousands for an electrician to do it?

Default Re: receptacle grounding

i would say you probably cant. pop an outlet out just to verify there is no ground. my guess would be some one just switched the old outlets, two prong, with new ones. so you can just throw a few gfis in if youd like. either that our you have to pull a ground to all outlets, which in that case would be smarter to rewire the house.

Grounding receptacles weren't used until the mid sixties, and then only in bathrooms and a few other areas. If you want safety, install gfi breakers, if you don't have a fuse panel. Otherwise you can find the first receptacle in every circuit and put in a gfi recpt. and feed the downstream ones off the load screws. This involves some problems with boxes that are too small for gfi receptacles.

zzz idea would also work but you will have to make sure they didnt network the neutral, with another circuit..

Quote Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
    zzz idea would also work but you will have to make sure they didnt network the neutral, with another circuit..
    Very true, but you would find out pretty quick since the GFI wouldn't reset.