+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding a garbage disposal

I am going to replace my dishwasher and the previous owner had it controlled by a wall switch to prevent the children from playing with it. I would like to have the new washer wired direct and add a garbage disposal that is controlled by the existing wall switch. How can I split the power to the switch? Your help is appreciated in advance.

Calcats
    Last edited by calcats; 07-30-2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: refrase question

Default Re: Installing a dishwasher and disposal from the same electrical feed.

it probably depends on where you live but here in massachusetts i believe that you have to have a dedicated circuit for a disposal and one for a dishwasher. also, i believe that the dishwasher uses a 20 amp circuit and the disposal uses a 15 amp. it's also a good idea to add another new switch (perhaps under the sink) for the dishwasher which is great to have for servicing it. as for using the power from the disposal to power the dishwasher, that's easy if the size of the wire is correct (12 guage). but if you do that, then you have to run a new line to your panel for the disposal.

Default Re: Installing a dishwasher and disposal from the same electrical feed.

Quote Originally Posted by MLBSF View Post
    it probably depends on where you live but here in massachusetts i believe that you have to have a dedicated circuit for a disposal and one for a dishwasher. also, i believe that the dishwasher uses a 20 amp circuit and the disposal uses a 15 amp. it's also a good idea to add another new switch (perhaps under the sink) for the dishwasher which is great to have for servicing it. as for using the power from the disposal to power the dishwasher, that's easy if the size of the wire is correct (12 guage). but if you do that, then you have to run a new line to your panel for the disposal.
    Glad someone tackled this one. Hard to answer those type of questions, as I can't see the situation from my abode.

Wink Re: Installing a dishwasher and disposal from the same electrical feed.

Thanks MLBSF.
    Calcats