+ Reply to Thread

Question Painted furniture

I have a painted kitchen table. When I put a Hot dish or really cold dish on the table I get white marks. How do I get rid of the marks and what causes this to happen. Please help me my table looks terrible

Shelby

Default Re: Painted furniture

A lot of times painted furnature is waxed after its done using a finishing or Butchers wax. Its possible thats what it is. Not sure.
    On some of my waxed pieces that I've made myself I go back when its looking in need and I steel wool the top with a 0000 steel wool and rewax with a clean cloth...then buff it out with a dry cloth. I ususally give it a cpl of coats like that.
    Not sure if this is whats making that happen to your table but I've seen it happen on mine on a rare occasion.
    Maybe someone will check in that knows for sure.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Andy already mentioned one possible cause; paste wax. Take a little mineral spirits or paint thinner (same basic critters) on a soft cloth and wipe down the areas with the white spots. If the spots disappear and are still gone even after the solvent evaporates, then the likely cause is paste wax.

If the above works, then you would be advised to either remove all the paste wax from the table or stop setting hot and cold items directly on it. Or maybe use a trivet.

If the mineral spirits doesn't work,then it may be that what you have there isn't paint at all, but rather a colored nitrocellulose lacquer.....or colored nitro with clear coats of nitro over the top. Nitro will blush (develop white spots) whenever moisture vapor is forced down into the finish (from a hot plate) or if kept wet long enough to allow water moisture to creep in (from a cold plate that condenses moisture).

Sometimes this trapped moisture can be released from the nitro with an exceedingly careful application of lacquer thinner, but it is not something that I would recommend be attempted by a novice. The lacquer thinner will re-dissolve the nitro which is the means by which the moisture can be released. However, just a tad too much LT or for just a bit too long and you've created a new problem rather than just resolved an existing one. I perform this operation with a spray gun so that there is no physical contact with the surface itself. It is still a fairly risky business.

If the MS doesn't do the trick, then I would advise that you take the table down to a local custom furniture and cabinet shop. The older the faces you see inside that shop.....the more likely they are to be familiar with nitro finishes and the techniques to release trapped moisture without causing further problems. There will still be a risk and no guarantees. If the magic doesn't work this time, they should also be able to recoat/refinish your table.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 09-25-2007 at 08:16 PM.

Have you already tried trivets or 'hotplates'? Not the kind like a potholder that sits flat on the surface, but one with legs? Maybe get the legged one and then on top of that a small folded kitchen towel or a potholder? The legs would keep the heat and cold off the immediate surface.. might help until you can get it down to the experienced furniture guys.

Smile Re: Painted furniture

Thank You for all your help. I will try some of the suggestions I have received.I appreciate you all responding to my call for help with my wood table. Shelby