+ Reply to Thread

Default Handicap Accessible Water Cooler/Fountain

I am working on an old historic house in Georgia; we are converting it from residential to commercial. The plan is to use it as our own office; no more than half a dozen people will use it at any given time. Problem is the building department is insisting on a handicap accessible water cooler or fountain and we really have no reasonable place to put it. Having a water fountain on the wall of a nicely restored old house would look odd at best.

We have never had an office with any kind of mounted water fountain and did not plan to put one in at all. In reading the code I can see that if you install a water cooler or fountain it would need to be handicap accessible but I can find no require to install one at all. In reality handicap folks can get a drink the same way anyone else would either from our freestanding water cooler (with bottled water and a spout to fill a cup), or a bottle from the refrigerator (most likely) or from the sink tap using a glass. The bathroom sinks would surely be accessible even if the kitchen sink was not.

Anyone know the Georgia code on this? Do we actually have to put a water fountain in? If we do I have no problem making it handicap accessible, I just did not plan to put one in at all.

If there is another thread where this post would better be placed please let me know.

Default Re: Handicap Accessible Water Cooler/Fountain

The National Standard Plumbing Code says a kithen or bar sink may be used by employees for drinking water facilities. A bathroom sink doesn't work for this.
    It all depends on the inspector and local ammendments to the code.
    An accessible sink or water cooler should meet the requirement.
    If you show them your facility is accessible, it should be allowed.